TrueNAS SCALE Dashboard discussion.

Damianos

iXsystems
iXsystems
If anybody else would like to voice their thoughts on the mobile view related question, please keep responding in this forum thread.

As for the main desktop view of the Dashboard page, we've listened to your feedback and we have some wireframes we've posted on github discussions. We think the proposed improvements will make the Dashboard more useful for you. Link is below.

Koop

Explorer
1. Which widgets do you use the most? - I just have all the default on besides the help widget. Pretty much all of them are helpful for at-a-glance information.

2. Which widgets do you use the least? - The help widget. Great to have at fresh install to have the initial links but otherwise I don't see a point in it needing links on my dashboard at all times. Perhaps there is a better place for this information to be accessible but I don't think in a widget on the dashboard makes much sense past day 1 install.

3. Would be nice to have an 'environmental' widget that shows me temperatures across any device/group of devices that can be tracked. Or even one for just for disks. Or temps being added to the storage widget maybe?. I would like to, at a glance, see the average temp across my disks without having to go into report -> select disk -> uncheck I/O -> etc...

Only really care because I run my disks in a not-so-optimal environment so sometimes they get hotter than I'd like without me noticing.

Do you find the mobile layout for the Dashboard page useful or would you rather it just be the regular widget cards in a single column?
I think it would be better to put widgets in a single column. When is the android & ios app coming? :tongue:

probain

Patron
If anybody else would like to voice their thoughts on the mobile view related question, please keep responding in this forum thread.

As for the main desktop view of the Dashboard page, we've listened to your feedback and we have some wireframes we've posted on github discussions. We think the proposed improvements will make the Dashboard more useful for you. Link is below.

There are some interesting suggestions there. But I beg you all, Please Please Please, reduce the amount of padding and unused space. There is so much wasted space, even in these suggestions. It just makes my head hurt with the question "WHY?!". It is so much space, that if you'd tweak it a bit. There would be space for at least an entire more column and/or row.

I know it would probably be a lot more work. But if you're adamant of having this space wasted. What about having a toggle of a "tight/snug" theme? That way the UI designer can be the king on the padded hill. :)

im.thatoneguy

Dabbler
1. Network Widget with I/O activity.
2. The half of the Storage widget is a giant "Create Pool" button. That's something someone does like once when they setup the system right? Weird to take up a substantial amount of the screen with a rarely used button.
  • See #2, Would also be way more useful
  • Similarly the TrueNAS scale info tab is excessively verbose and large. Name, Uptime and Version is all I really care about. There's plenty of room. Maybe up-time makes more sense in the CPU panel. Hostname belongs elsewhere perhaps? Not sure where to put version. Maybe in the top status bar.
  • Pool stats would be nice to include zfs iostat output. Min/Max/Avg Temperature would be good.
  • Memory tab would be nice to include SLOG, L2ARC data and current read/write iostat info as well. More like a Cache widget.

Stux

MVP

The mobile ui is almost useless when accessing reports.

Will try to take some screenshots later to point out what I mean