TrueNAS Scale can't connect to VM

rmvanderspek

Dabbler
I have a TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.0.1 running with a VM Ubuntu Server.

I can't ping my VM from the TrueNAS shell.

Code:
root@truenas[~]# ping 192.168.1.26
PING 192.168.1.26 (192.168.1.26) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.1.253 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable

But from my windows PC I am able to reach the VM.

I know that I need to setup a bridge network to be able to reach TrueNAS from the VM, but do I have to do the same to reach VM from TrueNAS? Or is there some other configuration I have not yet thought of that is needed?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

rmvanderspek

Dabbler
You want this specifically:

Well no, not really. This says: Accessing NAS from a VM, but I want it the other way around: Accessing a VM from NAS. (So maybe the documentation title could be changed to: "Establishing communication between NAS and a VM." Which suggests it is a two-way street.)
If what @sretalla is saying is correct, it will work both ways. I will try it tonight. I believe I need to attach a monitor and keyboard to the NAS to create the Bridge, so that's not something I can do between jobs :tongue:.

LarsR

Guru
you can create the bridge in the gui, no need for monitor and keyboard.

LarsR

Guru
Did you save the Changes? While testing you have 60 Seconds to save the Changes. If you didnt save, the Changes will automatically be reverted

rmvanderspek

Dabbler
Did you save the Changes? While testing you have 60 Seconds to save the Changes. If you didnt save, the Changes will automatically be reverted
Yes, I believe I did. I recall a counter and pushing some key before it got to zero.

urza

Dabbler
I have exactly the same problem but nothing here helped me to figure out how to exactly set it up so my TrueNAS and VM (Ubuntu server) can see each other.

From my VM I can ping internet and my home router but not my TrueNAS(scale), and from TrueNAS(scale) I can not ping Ubuntu.

I created the br0 interface and assigned it to VM, but it still doesnt work :(

urza

Dabbler
I was able solve the issue: