TrueNAS SCALE Bluefin 22.12.3 is Now Available!

eturgeon

Super Moderator
iXsystems
We are pleased to release TrueNAS SCALE 22.12.3!

This release includes many new features and improved functionality that span new applications for deprecated services, changes to SMB service, additional tools for troubleshooting, and web UI improvements. Changes include:
  • New applications for deprecated SCALE services Dynamic DNS, TFTP, OpenVPN, WebDAV, rsync daemon, and S3 MinIO.
  • Multichannel capabilities added to the SMB configuration form
  • Updates to the Dashboard R50 image
  • Updates to the latest Linux v5.15 kernel branch
  • Update Samba to 4.17.8
This release fixes a bug with dataset encryption where it was possible to create an encrypted storage pool or dataset and unencrypted datasets within that pool or dataset. Beginning with 22.12.3, it is no longer possible to create an unencrypted dataset when the storage pool or dataset is created with encryption active. Datasets created in this manner are not affected by this fix. If the original intention was for the dataset to be encrypted, please migrate any data from the unencrypted dataset to a new encrypted dataset.
For more details about this release, see the release notes.

Release Notes: https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/scale22.12/#22123
Download: https://download.truenas.com/TrueNAS-SCALE-Bluefin/22.12.3/

Thanks for using TrueNAS SCALE! As always, we appreciate your feedback!

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
FYI - We're tracking a couple of issues that we're going likely issue a hotfix for in the very near future. Specifically, a regression in PCI passthrough to VMs, and an issue with some systems that cannot launch applications after boot. We'll keep folks posted if anything else crops up that needs attention.

speedtriple

Explorer
Yes, still did not launch Syncthing after boot (as "normal").

Arwen

MVP
Hmm, moved RSync daemon from first tier file services to App.

Was this because it was thought to be a less used file service?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Hmm, moved RSync daemon from first tier file services to App.

Was this because it was thought to be a less used file service?
It was a multi-factor decision: how often used, how secure, can we recreate with an App?

Rsync tasks can still be be done.....without an App.

Is there a use-case that needs it built-in?

Arwen

MVP
It was a multi-factor decision: how often used, how secure, can we recreate with an App?

Not really. As long as the configuration can still be done to limit the users of RSync, it should be fine.

Won't have a chance to test it out anytime soon.

probain

Patron
Updated: So far looks good.
However, this update also (just as updating to 22.12.2) triggered a ECC event.
Sensor: 'Sensor #0' had an 'Assertion Event' (Correctable memory error ; OEM Event Data2 code = 5Ah ; OEM Event Data3 code = 80h)

My previous post mentioning the same observation.

I know. ECC corrections shouldn't be related. But I've now seen this coincidence twice. And only when doing the upgrade.

sheiy

Cadet
I updated to 22.12.3.

My VMs can not start up or start up very slow.

The Vm add PCI device UI can not load the pci devices list. It always loading...

LawrenceSystems

Dabbler
I updated 3 systems and only one had an issue which was the apps all disappeared, I just rebooted it again and all came back working. I rebooted it as few more time but could not repeat the issue so I just considered it a weird anomaly.

One issue that still persists is the single core speed limitation for new files added to the system. I have the TrueNAS Mini 3 with Intel Atom C3758 / 64G memory / Micron_5210 SSD with TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3 and If I create a random large file in an encrypted data set using DD then copy over to another system via either SMB or rsync the transfer rate is about 73 MB/sec. If type to copy the file again it transfers at about 630 MB/Sec. If I do the same test in an unencrypted dataset I get the fast 620 MB/Sec when doing transfers first time.

One other thing about this that puzzles me is the write speed is consistently about 400 MB/Sec when copying files to the encrypted datasets. Not sure if this is something that will be fixed in the future or if I am doing something wrong. I am open to suggestions.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Updated: So far looks good.
However, this update also (just as updating to 22.12.2) triggered a ECC event.
Sensor: 'Sensor #0' had an 'Assertion Event' (Correctable memory error ; OEM Event Data2 code = 5Ah ; OEM Event Data3 code = 80h)

My previous post mentioning the same observation.

I know. ECC corrections shouldn't be related. But I've now seen this coincidence twice. And only when doing the upgrade.
Are you sure it's not just an old log entry that's being read anew by the OS?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I updated 3 systems and only one had an issue which was the apps all disappeared, I just rebooted it again and all came back working. I rebooted it as few more time but could not repeat the issue so I just considered it a weird anomaly.

One issue that still persists is the single core speed limitation for new files added to the system. I have the TrueNAS Mini 3 with Intel Atom C3758 / 64G memory / Micron_5210 SSD with TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3 and If I create a random large file in an encrypted data set using DD then copy over to another system via either SMB or rsync the transfer rate is about 73 MB/sec. If type to copy the file again it transfers at about 630 MB/Sec. If I do the same test in an unencrypted dataset I get the fast 620 MB/Sec when doing transfers first time.

One other thing about this that puzzles me is the write speed is consistently about 400 MB/Sec when copying files to the encrypted datasets. Not sure if this is something that will be fixed in the future or if I am doing something wrong. I am open to suggestions.
That sounds like possible issues with AES-NI on Atom C3000s, maybe it's not being used for some reason? The second time around, the data should be in ARC, decrypted if I'm not mistaken, so it makes sense for it to be much faster.

Async writes would not be affected as much, since they'd be gobbled up by the ZIL and flushed out asynchronously (and possibly avoiding whatever code path is dropping performance down to 70ish MB/s).

probain

Patron
Are you sure it's not just an old log entry that's being read anew by the OS?
The IPMI timestamp matches the same alert. Now if it somehow laid dormant, and then is reported after reboot. Dunno. I'm only reporting behaviour that I've only seen related with upgrades.

My thinking is, if it happens a third time. Then coincidences are unlikely. And I'll try rolling back and reproducing.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is that one the H12SSL-I? It could be a firmware bug of some sort, wouldn't be the first one.

probain

Patron
Is that one the H12SSL-I? It could be a firmware bug of some sort, wouldn't be the first one.
Not impossible. BIOS IPMI are up to date with latest available. And these alerts don't show up on regular reboots. However, I don't wish to bog down this thread with this small (non) "issue". If I see it a third time, then I'll rule out coincidence. And try to form a better debug situation for devs to look at.

Zain

Contributor

I have the apps issue about every time I upgrade (have to reboot a time or two before the apps show up again).

tjarosz

Cadet
I'm having issues with TrueNAS after the upgrade. I created a post here: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/truenas-scale-22-12-3-1-dropping-packets.110885/.

To summarize, I'm seeing dropped packets (23% loss over an hour of constant pings.) The controller keeps crashing when loading pages. And I cannot import a certificate (controller crashes, but when I re-login, certificate is not present in certificate page.) See post for details.

for my use case it complicates configuration. its a thing that can live in the OS and not an app and provides access directly to the filesystem. With it being in a container im guessing it will have to have drives mapped and all that nonsense and overhead for managing it. the other things moving to apps make sense to me but rsyncd seems like some core functionality. are there more services that will be moved to a container down the road? ftp? iscsi? smb?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
for my use case it complicates configuration. its a thing that can live in the OS and not an app and provides access directly to the filesystem. With it being in a container im guessing it will have to have drives mapped and all that nonsense and overhead for managing it. the other things moving to apps make sense to me but rsyncd seems like some core functionality. are there more services that will be moved to a container down the road? ftp? iscsi? smb?
Can you describe your use-case.... note that many rsync tasks can still be run without an App. No drive mapping required in the App.. just select the dataset.

iSCSI, SMB will stay native
FTP will be moved to an App.

Blog is here: https://www.truenas.com/blog/truenas-scale-bluefin-adds-smb-multichannel-and-quality/

Can you describe your use-case.... note that many rsync tasks can still be run without an App. No drive mapping required in the App.. just select the dataset.

iSCSI, SMB will stay native
FTP will be moved to an App.

Blog is here: https://www.truenas.com/blog/truenas-scale-bluefin-adds-smb-multichannel-and-quality/
I have different rsync modules configured used for different servers that have scripts on them pushing backup data to the modules. i guess ill have to read the documentation and set up a vm to test how this will work, i currently am mapping user group and host allow in the config. im guessing though mapping users and the allowed hosts will get weird with the container, but i could be wrong.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I have different rsync modules configured used for different servers that have scripts on them pushing backup data to the modules. i guess ill have to read the documentation and set up a vm to test how this will work, i currently am mapping user group and host allow in the config. im guessing though mapping users and the allowed hosts will get weird with the container, but i could be wrong.
You can try all 3.. (rsync, rsyncd, App) with Bluefin.... let us know how they compare for your use-case.