TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02-RC.1-2 NVME log drive not increasing write speeds

oumpa31

Patron
I have a bunch of spinning rust drives attached to my server and over a 10gig network I was able to write at about 500mbs. I had 3 older ssd's set as a log drive but 2 of them were causing write errors so I removed them. I had an extra 1tb NVME drive that was brand new so I figured I'd throw that into my server to keep my write speeds up around 1gig. At first my write speeds were 300mb for a little and I figured the system just had to get a few writes on it to figure out that it could write at line speed to the drive. But its now been a week and the max write speed I'm seeing is 600mbs.
Is there a setting I'm not seeing for scale to work with NVME drives?
I'm running a Gigabyte X399 AORUS PRO with a Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX and 128gig ram

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Are you using synchronous writes like with e.g. iSCSI or NFS? If not, because you are using SMB, an SLOG will not speed up anything at all.

An SLOG is not a write cache.

oumpa31

Patron
Are you using synchronous writes like with e.g. iSCSI or NFS? If not, because you are using SMB, an SLOG will not speed up anything at all.

An SLOG is not a write cache.
I'm using SMB because I'm using a windows machine and I have a couple VM that need access to a couple shares. I has started looking into iSCSI but I just haven't had a ton of time to mess with it.

I didn't know that. I just thought it was weird when I had the 3 SSD's in there I could get line speeds of about 1gig 800-900mbs average.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You could try to create a second pool from SSDs and use that for performance critical applications. Then replicate the data on that pool to the hard disk based one. I run all my VMs and jails on an SSD pool like this in TN CORE.

oumpa31

Patron
I have 3 2tb wd red ssd's that house my VM's and my Apps. Those work great I'm actually looking at adding 3 more so I can create a few more VM's that my kids can use to run windows programs from their chrome books for school and I don't have to worry about them breaking my laptop. I have 6 VM's running currently on them.

I was just hoping to speed up writes to my Giant pool but it sounds like the only thing i could do is get more NVME drives and create its own pool that is constantly moved to my main pool. or look more into those other share types.