TrueNAS permissions not functioning as intended

jordanh

Cadet
Hi, I'm fairly new to using TrueNAS and have never used FreeNAS before but understand the workings of the ACL along with user/group permissioning.

To provide background firstly, I'm using a few community plugins which are, transmission (921), plex (972), radarr (352) and sonarr (351) which all have a user account created for them with their appropriate IDs, these users are then added to a group called plexmedia-bots which is just intended to make the perimissioning easier, I then also have my own account which is added to a group called truenas-admins and this is to just make it easier for future expandability if required.

I have 1 pool which is named bank that then has the plexmedia dataset and the dataset created by TrueNAS called iocage.

I setup the ACL permissions which are using SMB to grant the plexmedia-bots group and truenas-admins group to have access to plexmedia dataset first using the modify type then the full access type but for some reason the plexmedia-bots group is unable to access this yet my account under the other group works just fine. I've also had a similar issue where I'm unable to change the transmission download area to any other location such as /mnt/ when permissions have been set correctly and mount points setup.

Would anyone know why this issue is happening and if so know a solution?

Redcoat

MVP

jordanh

Cadet

Thanks I'll check through that thread, it would be weird for a bug like that lurking since 2012 thought would you not think?

jordanh

Cadet
Quick update, I am now able to get Transmission to save to my desired location within it's JAIL, after performing a few restarts and updating it again, within the edit preferences I was able to update this.

Onto more about the TrueNAS permissions itself again... as mentioned before I have plexmedia-bots group which is added to the ACL of the dataset called plexmedia to be able to read/write, to provide further context I the members of this group are:

username
uid
access?
sonarr 351no
radarr352no
transmis921no
plex972yes

I performed a test that once I added the user directly to the ACL to have modify/full access they were able to see the plexmedia dataset without issue.

With this issue does it lay on the fact that the group system is broken then and if so does anyone have a workaround other than to add each user the the ACL?

jordanh

Cadet
... After further testing, I found that plex doesn't have access while under the plexmedia-bots group so please disregard the table above, issue looks to be permission cannot be provided to users which are JAILS via a group from testing.