TrueNAS is taking all disk space for nothing

Antlilas

Cadet
Hello,

I am facing a problem with my TrueNAS.
I installed it as a VM on ESXi 6.7 (old version, but it's a school project), and attributed it some disks, larger than the size of the "real" disk of the ESXi, but it wasn't supposed to take all disk space.

The goal is to use TrueNAS to host a storage space for our VMs. There is not a lot of VMs that are running on it, and not much space used by them, as you can see here :
Screenshot_232.png

The problem is that TrueNAS is taking all disk space of my ESXi, and the other VMs stopped working, because there is not enough space :
Screenshot_230.png

Screenshot_231.png

I searched on the web and also here, but I didn't saw any problem like that. It seems that TrueNAS had take all the disk space progressively, day by day, until today, when all the space was taken (approximately, it took 13 days to take around 800gb of storage).

Do you have a solution for that ?

Specs details :
Version : TrueNAS CORE 13.0-U5.1

Screenshot_233.png

Thanks in advance.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I installed it as a VM on ESXi 6.7 (old version, but it's a school project), and attributed it some disks, larger than the size of the "real" disk of the ESXi, but it wasn't supposed to take all disk space.
Then how on Earth did you expect this to work? You can't just magically share a block device like that among several consumers.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
1. Giving virtual disks to TrueNAS as storage is known to pose a high risk of data loss. Boot device is fine.
2. You should read the resource about virtualising TrueNAS, specifically the bits about PCIe passthrough of an entire HBA/Controller.
3. Due to the copy on write nature of ZFS you cannot thin provision a disk that will be used for ZFS. Not. at. all. ever. going to work.
4. You probably should have asked before implementation.