SOLVED TrueNAS doesn't detect the USB hard drives but detects thumb drives

Hello everyone!

I've tried to search all over the internet to get a resolution for this, but I have not found any which is why I'm posting this here.
I installed TrueNAS scale a few days ago and followed one of the YouTube tutorials to setup and configure it for my use. Now that I have the basis down, I want to transfer some of the data from my 5TB external drive to the to the NAS drive. However, when I connect the external drive to the usb port, my drive does not show up under the Storage > Disks > Disks tab.

When I do the same thing with one of my usb thumb drives, TrueNAS picks it up right away and lets me transfer any data I have from the drive to the NAS drive. Here are some of the things I have tried so far:
1. Tried all the USB ports
2. Tried multiple hard drives including WD, Seagate, nvme inside an enclosure, nothing was identified
3. Picked a smaller test drive and formatted it to FAT, exFAT, and NTFS, did not work

I'm at my wits end here and would really appreciate it if someone could help me figure out what is happening here and how I can solve it. I have almost 20TB of data sitting in individual hard drives and transferring them over the network is not really an option for me.

Arwen

MVP
Don't you want "Storage -> Disks -> Import Disk"?

Don't you want "Storage -> Disks -> Import Disk"?
Yes, but that's not showing my external hard drives either, shows my thumb drives perfectly well though! My reaasoning is that if the disks don't up under Storage > Disks > Disks then they won't show up anywhere

Arwen

MVP
I had problems with a USB 3.x disk in a USB 3.x port. But when I put it in a USB 2.x port, it worked fine, (of course slower).

A USB 2.x flash / thumb drive plugged into a USB 3.x port would only use the USB 2.x part of the port. Thus, should work.

Please list your complete hardware and TrueNAS SCALE version.

I had problems with a USB 3.x disk in a USB 3.x port. But when I put it in a USB 2.x port, it worked fine, (of course slower).

A USB 2.x flash / thumb drive plugged into a USB 3.x port would only use the USB 2.x part of the port. Thus, should work.

Please list your complete hardware and TrueNAS SCALE version.
I've tried to plug the usb 3 external drive into usb 2 ports as well and I got no results. I tried with different cables, no results either. I also tried a keyboard usb passthrough (since the passthrough has ports for usb 2), same thing. The thumb drive works on all but the hard drives won't

Here's my hardware
CPU - Ryzen 7 1700x
Mobo - ROG Strix B450-I
Ram - Corsair 16GB
TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.4
Storage - Samsung 256 GB nvme (boot drive), 2x WD 2TB (NAS)

Redcoat

MVP
Are the USB drives showing in the BIOS after a reboot?

Are the USB drives showing in the BIOS after a reboot?
That Solved it! Turns out that the cables I was using were charing only. I had them lying around and assumed they would be good. The usb a to usb c were all charging only and wouldn't connect to my main computer either. Replaced the cables with data transferring cables and all drives are being detected.

Thanks a ton!

Redcoat

MVP
So glad you solved it!