Which USB Thumb Drives work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I haven't seen anything about a listing of USB Thumb Drives and which ones work and don't work. I have a Patriot Xporter 1GB high speed (for it's day) USB drive that fails to work at all with FreeNAS 8.x and a cheap PNY 2GB which seems to work (I fear it has issues) but I know I'll be upgrading so something a bit faster and with a larger capacity for when add-on software become reality. I have a Super Talent Express RAM Cache USB 3.0 16GB drive and it's very fast and I'll test it out for a few weeks but I bought it for something different and $60.00 is too much for a boot drive.

So if there are any proven drives in the 4GB to 8GB range, I'd love to hear about it, plus I'm sure others would benefit from the advice.

Thanks,
Mark

B

Bohs Hansen

I'd say it's probably due to the old stick not being bootable. But just a guess, rest should really be standard on the stick side.

jafin

Explorer
Not all in the 4gb region but I have had freenas booting and running on:

• imation 2GB
  • RunDisk 2GB (UR25-M)
  • Sandisk Cruzer 16GB

joeschmuck

Old Man
I run it from a 4GB Kingston
Any specific model or just the cheap one on the shelf? 4GB is the right size should we be allowed to use more of the USB memory in the future.

leadacid

Cadet
I've run FreeNAS 7 off of a absolutely terrible 128MB "CMS" brand drive that was originally from the end of a freebie pen. It threw errors like nothing else, the case was missing, the solder jobs looked like shite, but it ran solid for 2+ years.
I've since moved to a SanDisk Cruzer Blade 4GB that doesn't have nearly as much ... character ... but it is very stable.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Stability is what I'm looking for !

I want to thank everyone who has responded and urge others to respond as well because there are folks like me who like to know what does work as well as what doesn't before they spend too much money.

-Mark

warri

Guru
I'm using a Lexar JumpDrive Firefly 4GB. Works fine!

joeschmuck

Old Man
After a lot of testing it looks like my PNY 2GB USB flash drive is causing my Trap 28 error (crash). I can say that an Adata PD7 (4GB) drive works great. It's also faster than most USB 2.0 models out today and I bought it over 4 years ago.

Someone may be using the PNY drive without error but mine is not fine. Time to buy a new flash drive for me and I'm leaving the Adata PD7 in the FreeNAS for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.