Truenas build for photo/video editing etc

Rozakos

Cadet
Hello everyone! I am looking to make a truenas core build for business use. I chose core because reliability/performance is more important at this point.
The NAS will be used to edit photos/videos(not 4k currently, but in the near future) via the network, as well as 3d model editing and slicing.

After some research the current build I am thinking is:

Case : Corsair Obsidian 750D with 9 HDD slots (had it lying around, could use another one if you believe it would be a worthy upgrade)
Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSL-F
CPU : i3 6100
Ram : KINGSTON 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC Module KTH-PL426E/16G
PSU : 750W Gold Coolermaster
SSD : Sandisk SSD Plus Ultra 480gb Sata3 (had it lying around as well, if you have something else in mind please let me know)
HDDs : I have 2 Seagate Ironwolf 8TB (ST8000VN004), but I was thinking to get to 4x 14TB WD Ultrastar DC HC530 SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" for RAIDZ2

Any suggestions?
Would you change something?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Corsair Obsidian 750D with 9 HDD slots (had it lying around, could use another one if you believe it would be a worthy upgrade)
"Free" has a quality all its own. I think I'm using that expression right...
Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSL-F
CPU : i3 6100
Fine
Ram : KINGSTON 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC Module KTH-PL426E/16G
Somewhat dodgy, I'd stick to what's on the QVL.
PSU : 750W Gold Coolermaster
Could be good, could be terrible. I think all PSUs after the "Cooler Master Master Master Cooler Cooler Master Cooler Master Master Master Cooler PSU Master Cooler Master Power Supply by Cooler Master" phase are at least decent enough. Worth investigating.
SSD : Sandisk SSD Plus Ultra 480gb Sata3 (had it lying around as well, if you have something else in mind please let me know)
Fine, if it works it works (I say that because some WD/SanDisk models used to be problematic with FreeBSD due to firmware bugs).

Rozakos

Cadet
Thank you for your quick response!

Regarding the PSU, it's this one : https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/g-series/g700-gold/
Now regarding the RAM the QVL is a bit limited, so if you could let me know the model of RAM you are using on your truenas, it would probably work, I hope? :D

Also regarding the HDDS, will the WD Ultrastar DC HC530 be a good fit? The QVL is a bit limited as well :(

Finally, regarding the SSD's, does the 1*120GB SanDisk SSD you are using work fine?

Again thank you for your help!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Doesn't seem great, but nobody seems to have properly reviewed it.
Now regarding the RAM the QVL is a bit limited, so if you could let me know the model of RAM you are using on your truenas, it would probably work, I hope?
I can, it's M391A2K43BB1-CPB, but it's not likely you'll find it specifically.
Also regarding the HDDS, will the WD Ultrastar DC HC530 be a good fit? The QVL is a bit limited as well :(
QVLs don't really mean much for disks, fortunately, at least for the interface side of things. Power and heat are a concern, of course, but that depends mostly on your chassis - not really an issue with a standard ATX-style chassis.
Finally, regarding the SSD's, does the 1*120GB SanDisk SSD you are using work fine?
Yeah, but it's not a high bar to clear.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I guess, can't say anything either way about the seller, though.

Rozakos

Cadet
I guess, can't say anything either way about the seller, though.
Seller looks ok, ebay will cover if things go south :P
I found that I can buy the whole kit from him and save sometime and money, so currently the build looks like that (changed the mobo/cpu):

Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSL-CF
CPU : i3 7100 3.9ghz
Ram : 4x16 DDR4 ECC UDIMM 2133P Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CPB

How do you like it? :D