TrueNAS boot DOA...

QuantumLeaper

Dabbler
I was wondering how hard it was going to be when I have to reinstall TrueNAS since the boot drive died? I have been getting errors for the past week but I thought it was my 1T drive in the NAS but it looks more like the boot drive was giving me the errors. 3 drives for data and a boot drive in the current NAS. I am planning on getting a replacement SSD for the boot. The reason I thought it was the 1T was when I copied some files off it, it gave me an error in one of the files.

Any suggestions would be nice, on how to reinstall TrueNAS or which SSD (cheap would be nice at least for the boot) to go with when I replace the drive. I was thinking of a 128G SATA III SSD for the boot.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I like the Transcend SSD370S series for boot devices. Still available in small sizes, not too expensive, insane TBW for the size.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I like the Transcend SSD370S series for boot devices. Still available in small sizes, not too expensive, insane TBW for the size.
Agreed. I have them too and at least mine are MLC. Yes, relative to the capacity they are expensive. But in absolute terms around 35 Euros per boot drive (64 GB) is not too bad.

QuantumLeaper

Dabbler
My monitor for my main computer died about 5 minutes after I posted the question, and by the time I got a new monitor, I had already ordered a WD which was cheaper than the Transend and have the same warranty.

But thanks for the responses. If my monitor hadn't died I would most likely have gotten the Transend on instead of the WD.

I will still need help when I get the drive and install TrueNAS. I have never replace the Boot drive in my NAS before, just the data drives.

NugentS

MVP
Its easy - just make sure you have a backup of the config now in case anything goes wrong
Worst case you rip out the old drive put the new one in, rebuild True/Free NAS and import the config. Job jobbed