TrueNAS 13-U1: Web interface could not be accessed

fastzombies

Explorer
I have been swamped for a couple of months and been without my NextCloud and Plex. It seems within the last few weeks General Help has been locked into read-only so I'm going the try to continue here from this thread:

@Nvisible to answer your question, no I have not had any luck yet. I bought another AM4 motherboard with an Intel NIC in case all else fails. Here is what I have found:

If I run Debian live I see both the Realtek NIC and my Intel X520 PCIE NIC. It stays up for as long as I like so it is not bad hardware. If I run NomadBSD, a live FreeBSD, the Realtek NIC is not seen but the Intel X520 is. So this apprears to be a FreeBSD issue. How I regret starting with Core, had I only known. I'm ok with Docker and this would have opened up a whole world of potential.

So I am going to review some other threads on this issue as I was given some suggestion about disabling some power features on the BIOS. If that doesn't work then I will have to rebuild with the Gigabyte X570SI AORUS Pro AX mobo in hopes the onboard Intel NIC works.

pschatz100

Guru
You have hit upon the problem... FreeBSD does not support your hardware.

If Debian appears to work OK with your hardware, maybe you should try TruNAS Scale, which is built on Linux. If it runs OK, you could then import your existing pool.

fastzombies

Explorer
The maddening thing is it worked fine for 3-4 months. Then suddenly one day it starts dropping the RealTek LAN. TrueNAS would start and run for a while then LAN drops. The one day LAN won't initialize at all. Got an X520 which is seen but I could not get TruNAS Core to use the X520 instead of the RealTek and nobody here had any suggestions to set that from console.

Some suggested I try to turn off any power management and I went to try that and suddenly the power was flickering off and on. Bought another PSU and new one did the same thing.

So I picked up a

GIGABYTE X570SI AORUS PRO​

which as an Intel LAN an just now swapped that, power is steady and lights come on but that's it. System never start, no BIOS no nothing.

So I am defeated. I ahve already thrown away hundreds of $$$ and I do not want to spend another $900 on a Supermicro + whatever a CPU will cost. I don't know where to go from here. I need to fit this into a 2U rack so I am limited to micro-ATX or mini-ITX. Surely it cannot be this difficult.

Is there a ~$200 motherboard that will work with TrueNAS Core? AMD AM4 socket is preferred, but I will suffer a new CPU if necessary. If anyone has any further suggestions I would appreciate it.

fastzombies

Explorer
WOuld this work?

pschatz100

Guru
Why don't you try TrueNAS Scale? You don't have to buy anything, and if it works with your hardware then problem solved.

fastzombies

Explorer
It has taken me this long to get back to this issue. I have been without my TrueNAS server longer than I had it at this point.

While I would muc prefer to ditch Core and move to Scale, I am not quite ready to have ot start completely over with Plex, Next Cloud and ZoneMinder and all of the groups accounts and settings.

In the meantime, I dropped the precious cash on the ASRock X570M Pro4 with the Intel NIC and a new AMD Ryzen 7 5600G. I also bought a new ATX power supply. Thankfully it boots again, but after all that time and money I am right back to where I started, the web interface still cannot be accessed, so it has all been for nothing.

As before, Core sees my X520 card but won't use it.

This is insane, it seems like a simple matter of telling FreeBSD to use the X520 instead. I can log into the console and ifconfig doesn't tell me anything useful. Does anyone have any other suggestions to get the OS to use the X520 and ignore the system NIC? Surely this cannot be as difficult as it has been.

fastzombies

Explorer
Ok, I just discovered something that kinda works but not really.

In the boot options I noticed you can configure boot environment. For item #2 I chose the "initial-install" and it actually gave me a web console. For some reason I had to reset root password, but ok now I can log in.

However, I guess initial-install means exactly that, no pools no nothing. Well, at least I know Core can see the ASRock Intel NIC. I also tried the X520 and it saw that as well. Now to try them each with the 13-U1 and "Default" option and see if I can't get everything restored.

Last edited:

fastzombies

Explorer
Letting it boot to 13-U1 or "default" gives me no web interface again. So it seems Core 13-U1 is damaged. Is there a way to repair it and not lose my entire setup?

Last edited:

fastzombies

Explorer
I tried burning 13-U4 iso and doing a direct upgrade, but I did the partition-the-boot-pool trick so if I install to the M2s I will lose my entire setup so I cannot try that upgrade route.

Also, when I boot to default (13-U1) and get to the "Web interface" message, I don't get that console menu so I cannot configure anything. What's worse, I cannot log in as root as I probably disabled that when the console was working so I cannot edit anything like editing loader.conf that seemed to work for some people. No su, either.

So can anyone tell me if I am screwed here and I have to face the loss of my entire TrueNAS setup?

Booting to "initial-install" works but that doesn't recover my setup, live booting NomadBSD proves the onboard Intel NIC works so the ASRock board is working with FreeBSD. Losing everything seems so unnecessary but I don't know what else to try.

pschatz100

Guru
At this point, your thread has become difficult to follow. Initially everything was working, then you had problems with your RealTek LAN, then the web interface went down and you started changing out hardware... Quite frankly, it still sounds like either a hardware problem or your network configuration is not right. The good news is that your data disks should be OK (if you didn't mess around with them.)

So let's start with a summary of your current hardware configuration and the version of TrueNAS you are trying to use. Be certain to include as much detail as possible about your components (including the boot device.) For a guideline, check the red Forum Rules link at the top of the page. I would also include comments about how you are setting up your network as well as any other information that might be helpful.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
I agree with @pschatz100 , you need to list your hardware configuration and connectivity.

Things you can try:
1. Can you configure for Legacy BIOS? CSM Compatibility ENABLED.
2. Ensure the WAN Radio is DISABLED (Disable everything except the LAN you want)
3. Ensure BT is OFF

fastzombies

Explorer
Thanks all, but I gave up. Although I did not change anything, some config changed and my Core install would no longer initialize the NIC. I picked up an Intel X520 which FreeBSD supports, no difference. Changing motherboard and CPU didn't fix it. No console menu, no UI, no admin login, no root login, totally locked out.

If I boot Core to "initial-install' it works, though in the initial unconfigured state. This is with the ASRock X570M Pro4, with onboard NIC or the X520. Therefore it is a setting issue, but being locked out I can't fix it. I partitioned the boot drives so I could not do a manual upgrade. A perfect storm of failure.

Since I regretted choosing Core, I was not fully vested in my NextCloud instance and while losing my Plex setup hurts it is not life altering, I decided to switch to Scale. Yes, the pools were fine and imported with a few clicks.

My final configuration is:
  • ASRock X570M Pro4 (Intel NIC) uATX
  • 10GTek 4xM.2 PCIe card, slot set up for bifurcation with 2x64G M.2 2242 for boot ($12 on Amazon)
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
  • Intel X520 10G T1
  • 4x 16G Patriot Viper mem
  • 3x Toshiba Enterprise 4T 7200rpm
  • 2x Crucial 500G M.2
  • Rackmount case
So I am closing this issue. Sorry to anyone else with this problem that I could not find a a solution.

fastzombies

Explorer
FWIW:
I agree with @pschatz100 , you need to list your hardware configuration and connectivity.

Things you can try:
1. Can you configure for Legacy BIOS? CSM Compatibility ENABLED.
It was.
2. Ensure the WAN Radio is DISABLED (Disable everything except the LAN you want)
Radio was off.
3. Ensure BT is OFF
BT was off.

I also tried a Gigabyte miniITX board because it had an Intel NIC. It was DOA, never got to POST. I never determined if it was the mobo or my CPU got fried. Also tried now PSU. So Sorry to say this was never resolved. But in the long run forcing me to switch to Scale will be the better path.