SOLVED TrueNAS 12.0 and Plugin (Plex) VNET issues.

Bmiest

Cadet
I am posting this after earlier this year my troubles with VNET started with 11.3: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/vnet-failure-partial-plugin-destroyed.81488/post-575050

This was a response I had after going on an extensive upgrade path from my old 9.10 enviroment (from 9.10 -> 11 -> 11.1 -> 11.2 -> 11.3). But like today, I got things working even if it took some weird approach.

I am hoping this finds someone like me so he/she/x does not have to spend about 2 days getting everything to where he/she/x wants it to be, mostly on the jails/plugins side.

I decided together with jail issues(sickchill install was broken etc) to also expand my VDEV and so start fresh. I got 2 additional 3TB WD Red disks (I checked the serials they're not SMR, oof) and did a clean install of TrueNAS. Beforementioned upgrade path should technically be valid, the bloat the OS carried from the old 9.10 install and my possibly less than optimal config a few years ago meant I wanted a clean sheet.

First I want to compliment on TrueNAS 12.0, There's not much I can find wrong with it(except the VNET issues ofcourse). I am happy I made the switch and am taking it as my OS going forward.

But getting to the following state took me quite a while:

1605089288120.png

I will try to post all my findings as good as I can remember them.

My system:

Version:
TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE
MOTHERBOARD:
AsRock E3C226D2I
CPU:
Intel Xeon E3-1220 v3
MEMORY:
Kingston Valueram - ecc - ddr3 - 16gb : 2 x 8gb - dimm 240-pin - 1333
PSU:
Corsair CX430M
STORAGE:
Pool: Western Digital WD Red 3.0TB x6 (RaidZ1, I have a back up in place, I wanted more useable storage)
Boot device: TOSHIBA TransMemory USB stick 16GB (internal USB)
CASE:
Fractal Design NODE 304

Jails:

unificontroller:
Disable everything, leave ipv4 interface blank.
1605090311665.png

I was able to restore the configuration, but the controller would not come up automatically afterwards.
I think after a while I rebooted the jail myself and possibly did a jail "update" afterwards.
Controller came up and immediatly provisioned my AP's., I tested functionality using the guest portal and this worked immediatly.

transmission:
1605090240162.png

sickchill:
1605090444602.png

tautulli:
The same as the above:
1605090506714.png

Now we've arrived to the actual headache, Plex plugin:
(for this jail/plugin VNET is required.)
1605091120838.png

(+RAW sockets enabled)
This looks fairly normal. But trying to install the plugin with the following settings, or DHCP for that matter will get you either of the following error messages:

Error: plexjail had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: + Acquiring DHCP address: FAILED, address received: 0.0.0.0/8 Stopped plexjail due to DHCP failure Partial plugin destroyed
Error: RuntimeError Message: pkg.FreeBSD.org could not be reached via DNS, check plex network configuration Partial plugin destroyed

I can't even remember if there were more.

The way I got it working was the following method:

I could only pass the installation step for the plugin when using NAT+VNET+BPF.
1605091863840.png

However this did not behave as expected. Without manual NAT Port Forwarding rules(plugin/jail network properties) I could not even reach the plex webinterface. But when I added those I was getting a No soup for you! (permission denied to plex server) message from plex. I had no issues with running it in NAT mode as long as it worked, but no sigar.
1605092000909.png

(There is a possibility that following this path, I could have tried to run the jail update mentioned below and the NAT option might have worked afterwards. This is one of the few things I did not test myself)

After this I stopped the jail and manually set the following iocage settings back to a static Ipv4 config:

iocage set vnet=on Plex
iocage set defaultrouter=192.168.0.1 Plex
iocage set ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.0.250/24" Plex

(change name of the jail and your ip's)

If you start the jail now, it still will not function accordingly and is not reachable.

After this I tried running a jail update from when the jail is in a down state(I think) with the above settings. Now finally the plex service became available on the above settings and behaved as expected. I could start adding libraries etc.

Last note is I also enabled LAGG to bind my two nics in load balancing mode (my switch does not support LACP sadly), but I do not expect this to be an actual requirement to get this working.

If I remember additional steps I will update this post. Things get a bit blurry when you've been trying different things for hours.
If updating plugins breaks something I will also update this post.

Good luck, I hope this will help someone.

Bmiest

Last edited: