TrueCommand first tests

Nicolas_Studiokgb

Contributor
Hello all :)

I'm new to TrueCommand and may ask some dumb questions but here we are :

I've just installed Truecommand 233 in a docker and after my first run I had a few questions :
For now I run the free 50 drive license for testing purpose
I'm administrator user
I've connected to one of my Truenas Core (13.0U5.3) system (34 drives).

The idea behind using truecommand is the ability to segregate admins over systems and don't communicate the root credentials (as Truenas Core doesn't allow to create Web Gui users)

Dashboard :

Disk used and Net used differs completely from the truenas reporting : (I'm copying 150GB over 1Gb from a mac to the truenas server)
Net Used : 30-40 Mib/s instead of approx 800 Mb/s (Should it be MiB instead of Mib ?)
Disk used show spikes to 600 MiB/s. Is it a cumulative of all disks ? I don't find this in reporting of the trunas which shows less than 4MB/s I/O on each drive
In the Dataset section I only see 5 datasets

If I "explore" the connected data :
I see datasets and child dataset but not folders or files that are inside except .DS_Stores and 1 or 2 other normally hidden files. Is that normal ?
Is there any relation between truenas File permission and what is shown here ?

If I click "create Datasets" I don't get the ability to use profiles (as in shows in the truecommand documentation) and It doesn't inherit of parent dataset settings. Every setting has to be set manually to match. a bit dangerous. The setting "share type" doesn't exist

Is there a way to edit File permissions for the dataset ?

if I create "SMB share" Options have different names than their counterparts in truenas (not too different but a bit confusing) and some option very important for my usage are clearly missing : "apple char encoding" for exemple. Also, how do I add "Aux parameters" (vfs...)
Is there a way to edit Share ACL?

For existing shares : is there a way to edit them ?

My main usage for Truenas system is file server so create dataset, users, groups, manage file permission, shares, their settings and acl also.

I understand that some things might be in development and that's not a problem but I also might have miss something.

What is nice if I got it right is that connecting to Truecommand with a truecommand user offer me the ability to launch Truenas interface without this user having the server's root credentials wich allow this user to configure what he need directly on the server's gui.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this way syslog will retain root making changes to the server and not the truecommand user doing those changes. Which won't be secure enough for sensitive workflows.

Thanks for your support

Nicolas_Studiokgb

Contributor
hi all
any feedback on this one ? :)

Best