Troubleshooting Repeated Link Drops (how to force link speed and duplex under FN8?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After having been away from the FreeNAS 8 software for a while, I have recently set it up on a Dell Dimension 2400 computer rescued from a recycling center. I am running the FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x86 (r12825) version.

For the most part, things are working fine. Yet whenever I start any sort of data transfer over any protocol between FreeNAS and any other computer, the onboard NIC repeatedly drops its link and re-establishes it. (I first noticed this as very poor data transfer rates.) I do not see any errors being logged to the console or system logs when this happens. Light traffic, such as simply using the web-based management interface, does not cause the issue.

The onboard NIC (a Broadcom BCM4401) works under other operating systems. It is normally plugged into a 100 megabit Ethernet switch. I have tried other switches and different patch cables with no improvement. Using an old 10 megabit hub to force the link speed down did result in a stable link and reliable operation during data transfers. (I also tried using a few different 10/100 PCI cards and those did not demonstrate the issue.)

I am looking to find out how I can go about forcing the link speed and duplex settings for this Ethernet adapter from within the FreeNAS software. I'm not sure how to do it from the command line, and I did not see any option to do this in the web interface.

If anyone has any thoughts about why the link would be randomly dropped and re-established, I'd certainly be interested in hearing those as well.

ProtoSD

MVP
Broadcom doesn't work well under FreeBSD, go grab an Intel NIC and things will get much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.