trouble with Windows 10 Pro VM

petros

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I seem to have trouble after a fresh install of Windows 10 Professional from USB stick.

After a few minutes it becomes unresponsive, RDP or VNC do not answer anymore.

I use FreeBSD for many years (since 3.2) but never used BHyve before (only run a Zimbra Linux VM under VirtualBox headless for years).

I hope the problem can be fixed and is not a problem related to general instability of Windows 10 under BHyve.

Any thoughts how to get it fixed?

I started a Windows update but it crashed too, before the download finished.

Regards
Peter

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I recall 2 issues that may be contributing here...

One is the network driver, which I think I had to find by looking for the virtIO driver for linux somewhere (here is one place I think it can be found on the Fedora source https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/stable-virtio/virtio-win.iso ) I must have found the one for Redhat at the time as the one I'm using quotes redhat as the source... fedora and redhat have the same kernel, so should be fine. Clearly your NIC on the VM should be set to VirtIO.

The other is to remove the VNC device as this was causing problems with CPU of about 20% to do nothing at all.

petros

Cadet
Hi sretalla,

I will look for the VirtIO driver (it is E1000 at the moment, I believe, because Win 10 does not bring VirtIO with it, I think),

and may disable VNC.

I was able to upgrade Windows 10, and it works for a few hours by now.

Let's wait and see.

Thanks
Peter