Trouble Installing Wine and Setting up SteamCMD in Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sho Ya

Cadet
Hello!
I'm attempting to set up a 7 Days to Die game server, and my first step is trying to install Wine on my system! I've been following through this guide for setting it up with FreeBSD: https://wiki.winehq.org/FreeBSD
The first few steps worked out, except for when I got to this point:
Code:
mount -t devfs devfs /compat/i386/dev
which then gives me this:
mount: devfs: Operation not permitted
So I'm stuck there and can't find any way to proceed!
Would greatly appreciate any help!

Sakuru

Guru
Are you doing this in a jail? You should be able to just run pkg install i386-wine.

Sho Ya

Cadet
Are you doing this in a jail? You should be able to just run pkg install i386-wine.
Ok, I did do that, I guess the "Building Wine" section is not necessary then?
In which case, how do I proceed with my project? I'm unsure how to install SteamCMD into the Wine setup to use it for the server....

Sho Ya

Cadet
I've gotten Wine installed, but I have no idea how to work with it. When I try
Code:
winecfg
I merely get these errors:
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
err:winedaig:nulldrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.

What am I missing?

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Well it looks like you need an X server installed as well since wine is trying to open an X window and I'm pretty sure you can't do that without patching the kernel on the host.

Sho Ya

Cadet
Well it looks like you need an X server installed as well since wine is trying to open an X window and I'm pretty sure you can't do that without patching the kernel on the host.
Alright. Well I tried installing Xorg with
Code:
pkg install xorg
and that has resulted in slightly different errors:
err:winedaig:nulldrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
err:ole:apartment_createwindowifneeded CreateWindow failed with error 0

I apologize for my absolutely newb status on these issues.
Am I even approaching this in the correct way? Is trying to install Wine and SteamCMD in a FreeNAS jail to run a Steam supported game server a reasonable thing to be doing/is it even possible? And if so, are there any suggestions on how to accomplish that aim?
I'm quite lost on all this.
Thanks.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Your effort on this is likely to be fruitless. Do you have a video card in your system for Xorg to use. Even if you do I doubt you can pass it to the jail.

I'm pretty sure this isn't going to work as you intend it to. You might want to take a look at this thread for your intended idea.

Sho Ya

Cadet
Your effort on this is likely to be fruitless. Do you have a video card in your system for Xorg to use. Even if you do I doubt you can pass it to the jail.

I'm pretty sure this isn't going to work as you intend it to. You might want to take a look at this thread for your intended idea.
Ahh, fair enough, thank you sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.