Trouble importing NTFS disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

qbektrix

Cadet
I am using "FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r12825)". I am trying to import 2 ntfs disk, 2tb & 3tb.

Here are the steps i did:
  1. Enabled CIFS in "Services".
  2. "Storage>Import Volume" & choose NTFS. I imported 3tb successfully first. But the status is shown "UNKNOWN".
  3. I tried to do it for 2tb, but i get the error "An error occurred while labeling the disk.".

I reset the FreeNAS to factory default and tried the set again 3 times. But same issue.

I tried a solution i found on http://support.freenas.org/ticket/759. But when i input "cp /usr/local/modules/fuse.ko /boot/kernel/" I got the error that the directory does not exist.

I am lost and clue less as to what to do.
P.S.: I am a newbie to freenas

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi qbektrix,

The first step is completely unnecessary as well as using the fuse.ko module.

What you need to try is to connect the 2TB disk back to a Windows computer and run "chkdsk /r x:" where "x:" is the drive letter of the disk. This may take a LONG time to run, possibly 4 hours or more, maybe less, but DO NOT cancel it, if it is interrupted it could corrupt the disk further. After it finishes, power down the system, disconnect it and try importing it again like you did in step 2. If any NTFS disk is not cleanly shutdown or disconnected, it will not mount in FreeNAS.

ALSO, please be sure you understand that importing NTFS disks in FreeNAS is only intended for copying the files FROM the source disk to a native FreeNAS formatted disk with ZFS or UFS, and NOT for sharing or regular use on FreeNAS.

qbektrix

Cadet
Thank you protosd.
I just want to clarify, is it just for this version of FreeNAS or freenas in general that NTFS is not meant for sharing or regular use.
On an unrelated question, I primarily use windows. ZFS or UFS, which was less issues with windows?

Any idea why my 3tb is showing status as "UNKNOWN".

ProtoSD

MVP
Thank you protosd.
I just want to clarify, is it just for this version of FreeNAS or freenas in general that NTFS is not meant for sharing or regular use.

FreeNAS in general

On an unrelated question, I primarily use windows. ZFS or UFS, which was less issues with windows?

That seems like a trick question ;) If you're not swapping disks around like I get the impression you could be, it's really a matter of the hardware you're running FreeNAS on and what your goals are.

Any idea why my 3tb is showing status as "UNKNOWN".

It wasn't unmounted cleanly? Not really sure, what have you done since you had it working?

I would spend some time planning and do some more research. Then when you have your hardware configured properly, hook up your NTFS disks, copy your stuff off (rsync), verify everything copied cleanly, and put those NTFS disks in safe place as a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.