Trouble choosing hardware for my freenas system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ngjtt

Cadet
Hey everybody,

I currently own a synology nas for storing my media files and a back-up for my important files. however it is running out of storage space so I am planning on building a freenas system.

The main uses for the system are as follows:
  • Steaming Movies [HD]
  • Downloading media (nzb, torrent)
  • listen to music over the internet
  • Backup my documents
I believe Freenas has support for nzb and torrent and streaming should be able trough daap-protocol.

the hardware I plan on buying is as follows:

• Motherboard: asrock b75 pro3-m
  • Processor: Intel Celeron g540 2,5Ghz dual core
  • Ram: Corsair XMS3 3* 4Gig
  • HDD: 4* western digital green 2tb

I will place the four hdd's in a raidz configuration.
I would like to know if you guys think my system will be up to the tasks it has to perform.
Also i red in the forum that raidz works best with 3 or 5 disks, however 3 disks is to small and 5 disks will be a little expensive, what will happen if i use 4 disks anyway?
I believe 12gigs of ram will be enough and if it is not I can always add an extra 4 gig module.
I think my system does not need much processor power but if you guys think it does i might switch it out for a pentium G840 2,8Ghz
Also my Motherboard of choice has 5 sata6 and 3 sata3 connectors will making a 4 disk raidz on 3 sata3 and 1 sata6 connector give problems?
My last Question is about a power supply, I don't believe I need much 300Watt should be more than enough but powering 4 and in the future 8 hdd's will require a lot of connectors, can anyone recommend a good power supply?

Sorry for the amount of questions, but for my as a student +/- 600 euro's is a lot of money and I don't want to make bad decisions...

your help is much appreciated!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hey everybody,

I currently own a synology nas for storing my media files and a back-up for my important files. however it is running out of storage space so I am planning on building a freenas system.

The main uses for the system are as follows:
  • Steaming Movies [HD]
  • Downloading media (nzb, torrent)
  • listen to music over the internet
  • Backup my documents
I believe Freenas has support for nzb and torrent and streaming should be able trough daap-protocol.

the hardware I plan on buying is as follows:

• Motherboard: asrock b75 pro3-m
  • Processor: Intel Celeron g540 2,5Ghz dual core
  • Ram: Corsair XMS3 3* 4Gig
  • HDD: 4* western digital green 2tb

I will place the four hdd's in a raidz configuration.
I would like to know if you guys think my system will be up to the tasks it has to perform.
Also i red in the forum that raidz works best with 3 or 5 disks, however 3 disks is to small and 5 disks will be a little expensive, what will happen if i use 4 disks anyway?
I believe 12gigs of ram will be enough and if it is not I can always add an extra 4 gig module.
I think my system does not need much processor power but if you guys think it does i might switch it out for a pentium G840 2,8Ghz
Also my Motherboard of choice has 5 sata6 and 3 sata3 connectors will making a 4 disk raidz on 3 sata3 and 1 sata6 connector give problems?
My last Question is about a power supply, I don't believe I need much 300Watt should be more than enough but powering 4 and in the future 8 hdd's will require a lot of connectors, can anyone recommend a good power supply?

Sorry for the amount of questions, but for my as a student +/- 600 euro's is a lot of money and I don't want to make bad decisions...

your help is much appreciated!

mixing sata2 / 3 is no problem. You shouldn't need much power, 300W should be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.