SOLVED TrashNAS Build Version 3.0 (SuperMicro X7DBE+)

TechTrash Rigs

Dabbler
TrashNAS Version 3.x.x Build Changelog

3.0.0: (Nov 7, 2019)
  • Replace TrashNAS v2 motherboard with SuperMicro X7DBE+
  • 2x Xeon E5405
  • 2x SuperMicro SNK-P0025P Heatsink
  • 8x 512MB & 4x 1GB FB-DIMM
3.0.1: (Nov 8, 2019)
  • MICRON 32GB (8X4GB) 2Rx4 PC2-5300F DDR2-667MHz ECC FB-DIMM
3.1.0: (Nov 12, 2019)
  • 2x Intel Xeon X5470 3.30GHz/12M/1333 Quad-Core LGA771 SLBBF
  • Removed nuts on the heatsink and used standoff from the D-410 chassis.
  • Removed the OEM antivibration nuts on two 120mm chassis fans as they caused a gap of 1/4" between the fan and chassis.
3.1.1: (Nov 21, 2019)
  • 2x SuperMicro SNK-P0034AP4 Active LGA 771/Socket 604 Platform Heatsink

Note: See signature for the complete build list containing reused hardware.

Last edited:

TechTrash Rigs

Dabbler
TrashNAS Version 3.x.x Build Notes

• The SuperMicro X7DBE+ is listed as Enhanced Extended ATX 13.68" x 13" (34.7cm x 33cm). The iStarUSA D Storm D-410 4U chassis is only EATX 12" x 13". The top row of mounting holes will not match up with any standoffs as it a taller board. With the height being 13.68" the PS/2 power supply will interfere with motherboard and RAM. I plan on using an SFX PSU when funds permit. The iStarUSA BRT-PS2-SFX appears to be centered and will likely interfere as well. So I will like to have to see if SilverStone Technology SFX to ATX Power Supply Adapter PP08B-USA or the adapter included Corsair SF750 will work.
  • I had purchased 3D printed 80mm fand brackets to use on SNK-P0025P heatsink but they will not fit in between the two processors.
  • I switched to SNK-P0034AP4 as they are already active colling. I still get overheat problems under full load.
  • Only using 16GB of the FB-DIMMS until I increase airflow and get active cooling on the sticks.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Are you asking questions or is this going to be a build log?

TechTrash Rigs

Dabbler

TechTrash Rigs

Dabbler
I am hoping to avoid a few phone calls to SuperMicro and iStarUSA.

Does anyone know the TDP rating on the SuperMicro SNK-P0034AP4 heatsinks is?
I found an archived heatsink matrix, but I am having difficulty Googleing it again. I have the clip in backplate still installed, I am going to remove them and see if that extra 1mm is causing interference as well. I plan on replacing the stock San Ace 9S0812P4F041 fans with Noctua 80mm PWM.

Is anyone familiar with the iStarUSA DD-FANBAR? Alternatives?
I am finding little info on the DD-FANBAR. I finally read NewEgg review and found out that it uses DD-FANGUARD-8 or iStarUSA DD-FANGUARD-6 brackets. The D-410 is an awesome case, but airflow is horrible. I have my server setup up in my garage that is about 50 F ambient until this thing is up and running for a day. I am worried about putting this build in a rack. I may cut out fan mounts for the top lid.

Any other suggestions on cooling would greatly be appreciated. I plan on replacing the 120mm with Noctua Industrial series.

I need a time machine for all my EOL experiments.
I am sure I will run into other problems and have other questions

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I plan on replacing the stock San Ace 9S0812P4F041 fans with Noctua 80mm PWM
These older systems were all about high air-flow to keep them cool. If you take those loud San Ace fans out, you will have overheating problems.
@jgreco could probably give you some guidance, if he has some free time to share.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Does anyone know the TDP rating on the SuperMicro SNK-P0034AP4 heatsinks is?

They probably don't have a TDP rating per se. The non-special-use ones are expected to support all compatible CPU's on mainboards they're designed to run on. If you put a workstation (high watt) CPU on a server board, a fan designed for a server board and chassis may not be quite sufficent, and you may burn out the server board anyways.

I plan on replacing the stock San Ace 9S0812P4F041 fans with Noctua 80mm PWM.

Why would you replace a high quality industrial grade fan with consumer gamer crap? The San Ace will last a lot longer and was carefully selected for the task by an engineer who professionally designed it and ran calculations on it all to make sure it worked well as a system, and also worked with Supermicro's firmware department to make sure the fan could be properly controlled by the BMC.

TechTrash Rigs

Dabbler
Why would you replace a high quality industrial grade fan with consumer gamer crap? The San Ace will last a lot longer and was carefully selected for the task by an engineer who professionally designed it and ran calculations on it all to make sure it worked well as a system, and also worked with Supermicro's firmware department to make sure the fan could be properly controlled by the BMC.

Because I am buying into all the crap from youtube videos and really want to just test them out. :D
Are Deltas still any good? It has been decades since I used one.
I have 50mm Coolerstar's that have been running almost 24/7 since 1998/1999. I was using them on the 2U+ heatsinks.

Thank you both, @jgreco and @Chris Moore.

I flipped the low-speed Evercool 120mm around so they are no longer exhaust.
I played with the mounting of the heatsinks. The standoffs are too tall in D-410 using the included 5mm. I will have to grind them down to 4mm or 3.5mm in the future unless I come across shorter ones in one of my Plano boxes. As of right now, they are attached using bolts that came with the original heatsink. The bolts are unfortunately 5mm in height so they come into contact the non-removable standoff portion of the chassis.

So Yeah I feel like a dumb ass for making such a mistake. I even read a post else were from 2007 about the same problem. Of course, the heatsink won't have any play when bolted the chassis. The crap that happens when you have daily chronic migraines.

I am now averaging between 69-72°C with BOINC running for almost 2 hours. If all else fails, I have the two E5405 I can put back in and I thought I had at least one L5408 or L5410 around here somewhere. I guess I can try to snag up L5430's if the price is right.

For reference for anyone else, the fan bar from iStarUSA will not fit in front of the heatsinks in the D-410 with a 4U+heatsink and EATX board. Though I might set one up behind the CPUs to cool the FB-DIMMs.

TechTrash Rigs

Dabbler
They probably don't have a TDP rating per se. The non-special-use ones are expected to support all compatible CPU's on mainboards they're designed to run on. If you put a workstation (high watt) CPU on a server board, a fan designed for a server board and chassis may not be quite sufficent, and you may burn out the server board anyways.

The X5460 was officially supported on the X7DBE+ and X7DB8+. This might be why the X5470 was never listed as being supported, though X5460. Both have the same voltage range and TDP. Tough they had a 9-month release difference and I would expect by Q3'08 they have been focusing on chipsets that support the 1600 MHz FSB X54xx or X74xx series. The X5470 seems out of place on release. From what I can tell they have the same instruction set as well.