Transmission not running script-done

jag131990

Explorer
Hi all,

Cant seem to get the script-done to run my NzbToTorrent.py script. I have set up the jail's as described by Joshua's guide on his website. The difference being I am using the plugins, so my transmission is on a different hostname to sickrage and couchpotato.

I have chown and chmod the nzbtomedia folder and have used solutions 3 and 4 from Joshuas permission guide (changed transmission to run as media and other writable) since the scripts folder is owned by media: media.

One thing I tried is changing transmission to message level 3 and looked at the debug.log and can see torrents snatching etc but nothing seems to happen at all once it's done. I can manually post process successfully from sickrage too.

I am wondering that you must first wait for seeding to be done before script-done?

Thanks.

P.s. My autoProcessMedia.cfg is exactly as per Joshua's website guide except I obviously have put in the hostnames to everything.

Last edited:

jag131990

Explorer
Just attempted enabling seeding stop ratio in transmission and the torrent finished with seeding complete. Nothing.

Last edited:

jag131990

Explorer
Is there another way to get some debugging going? Further more verbose logs?

/var/log/debug.log looks normal no mention of post processing

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
when you say "you are using the plugins" I think you aren't understanding everything exactly right. my blog uses the plugins, just I have them all uploaded to the same jail.

do the nzbtomedia scripts exist in transmission plugins jail?
did you modify the autoProcessMedia.cfg appropriately to communicate with plugins that aren't running at localhost?

jag131990

Explorer
Hi Joshua sorry I glossed over the bit where you upload the plugins.

They don't exist in the jail because they are needed for the sabnzb jail also so they exist on dataset owned by media:media and has other writable.

Yes my cfg file is exactly per yours only I have put the IP of jail's in for Localhost on sickrage, couchpotato, nzb section, torrent section (at transmission line).

Further I have changed the transmission jail to run as media user incase it would not get execute priveledges somehow. Honestly I can't see it attempting to run the script anywhere.

Currently as a workaround I have enabled post processing in sickrage and it has been able to post process on an interval to that folder, I have to then tidy up the transmission queue manually though. I suspect couchpotato would work the same with enabling renamer on schedule.

As for sabnzb it is calling scripts and works perfectly to couchpotato and sickrage.

jag131990

Explorer
This is non-ideal but as a proof is it worth adding a local copy of nzbtomedia folder to transmission and point the script-done here?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
@jag131990 The scripts need to exist in whatever jail they are executed in. So since you have separate jails they should exist in both the sabnzbd and transmission jails. Otherwise, transmission doesn't know what to execute!

Having a copy of nzbToMedia in both jails should work, but you might hit issues if both sabnzbd and transmission execute at the same time. You could also have the scripts on a shared dataset and have it mounted to both jails.

jag131990

Explorer
The scripts need to exist in whatever jail they are executed in. So since you have separate jails they should exist in both the sabnzbd and transmission jails. Otherwise, transmission doesn't know what to execute!

Having a copy of nzbToMedia in both jails should work, but you might hit issues if both sabnzbd and transmission execute at the same time. You could also have the scripts on a shared dataset and have it mounted to both jails.
The script folder lives in /mnt/downloads/script and /mnt/downloads is mounted to all jail's. This is how sabnzb jail successfully runs these scripts and is working perfectly.

In the same way I wanted transmission to run the scripts from mounted folder. As above when it didn't work I figured transmission might not have execute priveledges since it's media:media so I changed transmission user to media and to no avail.

I will attempt this when I get a chance (local copy on transmission jail) but I don't understand why it wouldn't work when sabnzb jail can do it..

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Having a copy of nzbToMedia in both jails should work, but you might hit issues if both sabnzbd and transmission execute at the same time. You could also have the scripts on a shared dataset and have it mounted to both jails.[/QUOTE
The script folder lives in /mnt/downloads/script and /mnt/downloads is mounted to all jail's. This is how sabnzb jail successfully runs these scripts and is working perfectly.

In the same way I wanted transmission to run the scripts from mounted folder. As above when it didn't work I figured transmission might not have execute priveledges since it's media:media so I changed transmission user to media and to no avail.

I will attempt this when I get a chance (local copy on transmission jail) but I don't understand why it wouldn't work when sabnzb jail can do it..[/USER]
[/QUOTE]
it should work if the scripts live there. in the scripts folder, there is a logs folder, you check the log there to see if it did try to execute.

jag131990

Explorer
Nothing tried to execute :(

Will get around to testing a local folder sometime. I just don't think transmission is triggering that script correctly.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
can you verify your settings.json, and that transmission is running as media with 'ps aux', also that your media users have the same UIDs across jails with 'ls -l /path/to/nzbtomedia'

jag131990

Explorer
can you verify your settings.json, and that transmission is running as media with 'ps aux', also that your media users have the same UIDs across jails with 'ls -l /path/to/nzbtomedia'

Code:
root@transmission_1:/ # ps aux
USER	PID %CPU %MEM	VSZ   RSS TT  STAT STARTED	TIME COMMAND
root  16872  0.0  0.0  14528  1228  -  SsJ  Sat03PM 0:02.28 /usr/sbin/syslogd -s
media 16909  0.0  0.1 150816 34080  -  SsJ  Sat03PM 8:04.67 /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/bin/transmission-daem
root  16940  0.0  0.0  16624   612  -  IsJ  Sat03PM 0:00.16 /usr/sbin/cron -s
root  16971  0.0  0.0  14464  1084  -  IsJ  Sat03PM 0:00.00 /usr/sbin/rtsold -a
root  17260  0.0  0.1 162136 31768  -  SJ   Sat03PM 0:13.40 /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/bin/python2.7 /usr/pb
root  83859  0.0  0.0  23600  3036  0  SJ	6:47PM 0:00.01 tcsh
root  83862  0.0  0.0  18768  1808  0  R+J   6:47PM 0:00.00 ps aux

All users have same UID for media confirmed
For now as I am back to work and don't have time to further troubleshoot I have changed the watch folder 'from' in couchpotato and sickrage under postprocessing to the torrent/complete/movies and TV folders respectively. SAB still processes via the scripts and transmission once finished moves file to above folders etc. Only downside is have to cleanup transmission queue.

I forgot about this also but I had actually changed the script folder to transmission: transmission before changing transmission plugin to run as media. Subsequently it's still owned by transmission and transmission plugin is still run as media but clearly the opposite scenario never worked so I don't see much value in reverting both of these..

This also means there was a scenario in the above where for some time transmission plugin still was running as transmission user and script folder owned by transmission: transmission and yet it still didn't work. No idea.

Thanks for your help Joshua

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Code:
USER	PID %CPU %MEM	VSZ   RSS TT  STAT STARTED	TIME COMMAND
root  16872  0.0  0.0  14528  1228  -  SsJ  Sat03PM 0:02.28 /usr/sbin/syslogd -s
media 16909  0.0  0.1 150816 34080  -  SsJ  Sat03PM 8:04.67 /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/bin/transmission-daem
root  16940  0.0  0.0  16624   612  -  IsJ  Sat03PM 0:00.16 /usr/sbin/cron -s
root  16971  0.0  0.0  14464  1084  -  IsJ  Sat03PM 0:00.00 /usr/sbin/rtsold -a
root  17260  0.0  0.1 162136 31768  -  SJ   Sat03PM 0:13.40 /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/bin/python2.7 /usr/pb
root  83859  0.0  0.0  23600  3036  0  SJ	6:47PM 0:00.01 tcsh
root  83862  0.0  0.0  18768  1808  0  R+J   6:47PM 0:00.00 ps aux

All users have same UID for media confirmed
For now as I am back to work and don't have time to further troubleshoot I have changed the watch folder 'from' in couchpotato and sickrage under postprocessing to the torrent/complete/movies and TV folders respectively. SAB still processes via the scripts and transmission once finished moves file to above folders etc. Only downside is have to cleanup transmission queue.

I forgot about this also but I had actually changed the script folder to transmission: transmission before changing transmission plugin to run as media. Subsequently it's still owned by transmission and transmission plugin is still run as media but clearly the opposite scenario never worked so I don't see much value in reverting both of these..

This also means there was a scenario in the above where for some time transmission plugin still was running as transmission user and script folder owned by transmission: transmission and yet it still didn't work. No idea.

Thanks for your help Joshua
are all of nzbToMedia's dependencies installed in the transmission jail? that is another reason having all the related plugins installed in the same jail is simpler. I think all you need is 'python2 py27-sqlite3 unrar p7zip ffmpeg'

jag131990

Explorer
are all of nzbToMedia's dependencies installed in the transmission jail? that is another reason having all the related plugins installed in the same jail is simpler. I think all you need is 'python2 py27-sqlite3 unrar p7zip ffmpeg'
Good point Joshua,

I had oveooked this and I think you probably cracked it!

I will have another go on the weekend it is definitely getting tiring manually removing torrents from the queue.

jag131990

Explorer
Finally got to this. Fixed. Thanks Joshua

Ryan Beall

Dabbler
I'm having the same issue now on a fresh re-build with having to move to 11.2 to upgrade TLS etc. @Joshua Parker Ruehlig, Your blogs were extremely helpful but are no where to be found on the internet now that you've taken them down. Anyway we can get that info back up? I've tried to comb through all your old posts on this issue etc, and as far as I can tell (and remember) I've pretty much got it dialed in and still isn't running the script post download. Thanks for the help.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
i may put the info back up when i test everything for 11.2. for now you can use the Google wayback machine if you find the link to my old post.

did you add the setting for transmission to run the script? what user is transmission running as? can they run the script? are there logs in your nzbToMedia folder?

Bigp

Cadet
I'm having the same problem on 11.2. It won't execute the script on download completion. I believe I've checked everything that I can from various other forum posts. Permissions seems fine, executing the script from the command line works fine. I'm trying to just run a very basic pipe to log file to ensure that it is actually executing/configured correctly, and no dice. Log file is created as the same user that transmission runs as, permissions looks fine. I'm at a loss.

Ryan Beall

Dabbler
I solved my issue by fixing a typo. Josh's wayback recommendation was great, but ultimately it was 100% me having a cognition blind spot on a typo spelling mistake on my directory. Check your permissions and directories etc. Typically it's permissions. Josh's tutorial properly sets up a frame work for "media" to be the user and that's an important piece as well. There's another forum post on how to make sure that transmission is booting as that user etc.