Transmission jail with OpenVPN loses connection / DNS

Dobbie

Dabbler
I did not realize that you were running TrueNAS as a VM; there is likely some configuration in there that needs to be fixed (unfortunately I know little about that end of things). As a general rule I would recommend that anytime you want to go beyond a simple file server you should run on bare metal and even then probably not something you should do.
It's running on a Dell R720 and wanted to give myself room to play with other VMs because I don't want the whole server to be for TrueNAS. 2 x E5-2697 v2, 128 GB RAM, and 8 x 3 TB SAS HDD in RAID 10 is way too much for my TrueNAS needs.

The thing is, I don't understand why your script won't get any connection at all but I can install a plugin just fine, the only issue is that the jail will lose connection / DNS after OpenVPN is connected on it.

Edit:
Even on my old server that has a transmission plugin jail with OpenVPN running fine on, I can't recreate it in a new jail, the same issue happens when OpenVPN is connected.

Last edited:

dak180

Patron
It is because of how when you run a jail it can (depending on settings) setup a separate network stack to address the nick. Since the way my script sets it up is via dhcp rather than a fixed ip address the failures just become apparent much earlier in the process. All of this is because TN is doing things to the nick (some of which have changed over time, which is likely why it works on 12 but not 13) that by default your hypervisor is not set up for out of the box.

Dobbie

Dabbler
It is because of how when you run a jail it can (depending on settings) setup a separate network stack to address the nick. Since the way my script sets it up is via dhcp rather than a fixed ip address the failures just become apparent much earlier in the process. All of this is because TN is doing things to the nick (some of which have changed over time, which is likely why it works on 12 but not 13) that by default your hypervisor is not set up for out of the box.
I decided to throw TrueNAS on this server bare metal just to see after flashing the HBA with IT mode firmware and, without editing anything on your scripts, went further than on the virtual, call me converted, but I just liked the idea of a VM TrueNAS, wasn't against it being bare metal, I just was in hopes of spreading a good server further for fun home use / experience

Dobbie

Dabbler
1679195092965.png

Just so you didn't think I was pulling your leg on the details. Funny how the first NIC in the 4 x NIC on the R720 shows up as bge2 not bge0 and nice to see it doesn't see the iDRAC port as a NIC

Last edited:

dak180

Patron
I decided to throw TrueNAS on this server bare metal just to see after flashing the HBA with IT mode firmware and, without editing anything on your scripts, went further than on the virtual, call me converted,
I take it that this means things are working for you now? If so would you mind adding the solved tag to the thread?

dak180

Patron