Transmission can't set recieve buffer when starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glorious1

Guru
I just happened to look at /var/log/messages inside my transmission jail. During startup, I got:
Code:
Dec  6 13:08:17 transmission_1 transmission-daemon[5306]: UDP Failed to set receive buffer: No buffer space available (tr-udp.c:59)
Dec  6 13:08:17 transmission_1 transmission-daemon[5306]: UDP Failed to set receive buffer: requested 4194304, got 42080 (tr-udp.c:78)

Transmission works, but this doesn't seem normal, and maybe it would work better if it had this buffer? How would I go about making more space available for the buffer?

EDIT: Sorry, should have searched first. This was addressed in 2011 and 2013 (so I guess it was due again!).
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...iled-to-set-receive-buffer-please-help.15203/

Short answer is, you go into the jail settings, Advanced, Sysctls, and add these two (with a preceding comma if there is already one there), then reboot.
kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=5242880,net.inet.udp.recvspace=4194304

EDIT2: Apparently these parameters are no longer compatible with FreeNAS, as the jail won't start with them. Is anyone knowledgeable enough to know what Sysctls might do it in 9.3?

On the other hand, the folks at transmission seem to think it's not a problem: https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/5317

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Those are still valid sysctls. What exact error do you get when you try to start the jail with those sysctls set?

Glorious1

Guru
Huh. Interesting. The jail simply refused to start with no message popped up, but I didn't check the logs. As soon as I deleted those sysctls, it started fine.

adamgoldberg

Explorer
Short answer is, you go into the jail settings, Advanced, Sysctls, and add these two (with a preceding comma if there is already one there), then reboot.
kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=5242880,net.inet.udp.recvspace=4194304

Not sure what's going on here, but a comma-separated list didn't work for me, but putting each sysctl on a separate line //DID// work (FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011)

Status
Not open for further replies.