Transferring the same hard drives to a new system

jwhitacre

Cadet
I currently have freenas installed on a SSD, with only the OS on it, and then I have a second drive with everything else (pool, jails, VMs, etc.). When transferring these drives to a new system (Dell Poweredge R410) I installed the SSD first and it booted to FreeNAS just fine. I then powered off the machine, inserted the second drive and then it booted just fine again (to FreeNAS) and it detects the second hard drive, but it detects it as a new hard drive with no data on it.

Is there a way for FreeNAS to recognize this drive since it was in the exact same configuration in a different machine? Or will I have to completely recreate the jails, pool, VMs, etc?

Alecmascot

Guru
If the HBA's are both in IT mode then it should work fine.
Is one of them a Raid Controller ?

jwhitacre

Cadet
The R410 has the perc 6i in, but it's in the factory default. The machine that it came from didn't have an active raid controller.

jwhitacre

Cadet
So you're saying that if I removed the perc 6i, then theoretically the drives/FreeNAS should boot the exact same on the new system as if I never changed systems?

blueether

Patron
Does the Dell R410 have onboard sata (or sas) ports? if it does turning them on in the bios and connecting the drives should work fine

jwhitacre

Cadet
Yes to both, they are SATA compatible SAS. Detecting the drives isn't the issue, it's FreeNAS detecting the data on the drive. I inserted the drives back into the old system and they work perfectly fine. But once they're in R410 the storage drive is detected as a blank formatted drive. All of my jails and VMs are still there, but the pool doesn't exist and none of the jails or VMs will boot because they can't detect their data.

blueether

Patron
The question was if the motherboard has it's own sata ports separate to the raid card. If it does then these should not be raid and then the drives should be visible to FreeNAS. If there are no sata ports than a cheep HBA (something like a IBM m1015 in IT mode) will do the trick

jwhitacre

Cadet
So if they are connected to a backplane, then I need a HBA or enough sata ports? Is there a way to configure the backplane to read the drive correctly?

blueether

Patron
Does the backlane have sata or sas connectors, and does the motherboard have any?

If you need an HBA then this seller seem trusted on here although I've never brought from them: