Transfer files (250GB +) from FreeNAS to WD My Book Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baconmanic

Dabbler
I have been doing research and I can not seem to figure out how to get my files from Freenas over to to the WD My Book Live.

The user system is a Macbook air (2011) running Mavericks 10.9
The WD My book live is installed and accessible from my Mac.
The FreeNas is a CIFS share that is also accessible from my Mac.

What I want to do is transfer the files from the FreeNAS to the WD My Book Live for a second backup that does not relay on the same chassis.

I can drag and drop files using finder on the MAC, but the transfer seems slow. I would assume this is because the MAC is being a middle man, and being on wireless, is killing the speed.

I can not seem to find a way to transfer directly to the My Book live. I can not seem to get the rysnc setup correctly.

I hope someone can help me out with this. I want this backed up so that I can really play with my freenas server without worry.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Wireless is definitely a performance killer. If your hard drive is USB2 you'll be limited to 30MB/sec max anyway.

Rsync will require your Mac to have an rsync client setup. As I don't have a Mac I can't help you with that. As for setting up rsync the FreeNAS manual (doc.freenas.org) worked just fine for me when I had never used rsync before.

Baconmanic

Dabbler
I have read of the doc a few times and I feel like I could get the Rsync between two FreeNAS just like it shows you how too. I am however trying to go to a MBL.

Dusan

Guru
cyberjock, the My Book Live is not an external USB drive, but an "all-in-one" NAS supporting CIFS, NFS, AFP and FTP.
Baconmanic: I checked the spec sheet and the My Book Live doesn't seem to support rsync. If you want to transfer the data directly you need to use the FreeNAS command line interface. Either mount the CIFS/NFS/AFP share you created on the MBL and copy the data or use FTP.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh. I thought they were external disks.

Edit: Ah. I see "live" makes it a NAS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Baconmanic

Dabbler
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.20/Tunes /mnt/tunes

Keeps telling me not supported..

Baconmanic

Dabbler
I was able to get it to mount using mount_smbfs -I 1.2.3.4 //username@nasserver/share /path/to/local/mnt

Then I just used cp -vrp

Status
Not open for further replies.