SOLVED Traefik - remote access to apps works via URL, but not via Open button in TNS GUI

flimofly

Cadet
I'm remotely accessing my TNS apps via a personal (sub)domain + Cloudflare tunnel + Traefik like described in this excellent guide by @d1gz0r.

This works (except for https at the moment). I can see e.g. the Home Assistant portal via hass.mydomain.com and the TNS GUI via nas.mydomain.com.

However, when I log in remotely to the TNS GUI I can't open _any_ apps by clicking on its 'Open' button. I see that these buttons link to the local IP address of my server but get no response.

Is this Traefik not being configured properly?

To be honest, I'm unclear as to what exact role the Traefik remote proxy plays in enabling remote access. E.g. I have not yet configured Ingress on the Nextcloud app (because I have the official version, which doesn't allow this to be configured) but still I can access the Nextcloud web portal remotely.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Is this Traefik not being configured properly?
I think you're misunderstanding what's happening here.

Those links are to local resources on your LAN, which aren't available to a client outside it.

You can only see the GUI because you publish that in a cloudflare tunnel, but you didn't do that for all of the apps, or did you?

To be honest, I'm unclear as to what exact role the Traefik remote proxy plays in enabling remote access.
It enables access to the outside world (i.e. not the Kubernetes Internal Network) for the apps you have specified.

You can also use it as a reverse proxy to the Internet with the right configuration, although that's possibly better done with an additional/external reverse proxy in front of it.

flimofly

Cadet
I configured the Cloudflare tunnel for two apps (Home Assistant and Nextcloud) as well as the TNS GUI.

They all work: I can see their respective web portals remotely via app.mypersonaldomain.com.

I was under the impression that, with Traefik configured correctly, clicking the Open button next to an app in the TNS GUI would not lead to the local IP address but to would lead to app.mypersonaldomain.com.

sretalla