Total Noob looking to try out

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAXQ

Contributor
I have a little older server HP Proliant server that has a built in Raid, 32 gig or RAM and dual 64 bit CPUs, we originally used it as our VmWare host, till it was retired when its warranty ran out. Its big, loud and bulky, but still runs fine. I also had a Tera Station that just died, so I thought I would try and use the old HP server as a Free NAS server to replace the TeraStation.

I configured all the drives into a single RAID 5 volume in the BIOS/Raid controller and have a 1.5 TB drive. After adding the volume to FreeNAS as a ZFS volume I am getting dropped connections when I try to write to the server with Veeam to backup my Virtual Servers. My question is, since I already have a RAID going on underneath FreeNAS, should I be setting up the Volume in FreeNAS some other way? or should adding it as a ZFS volume be fine?

Not doing anything too tricky just yet, trying to learn a bit about it first - after creating the volume, I created a CIFS share, and that is what I am using to backup from Veeam to - a CIFS share.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You really don't want to be running ZFS on top of RAID5. There are a million threads on the forum discussing why not to use a RAID controller and use an HBA.

DAXQ

Contributor
You really don't want to be running ZFS on top of RAID5. There are a million threads on the forum discussing why not to use a RAID controller and use an HBA.
OK, Might explain why I'm getting disconnects, would it be better to run UFS on top of the RAID, or disassemble the Raid and us ZFS?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
UFS is deprecated. If you can convince your RAID controller to be an HBA, that's better. See my LSI sticky in the hardware forum, since most RAID controllers these days tend to be LSI.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
OK, Might explain why I'm getting disconnects, would it be better to run UFS on top of the RAID, or disassemble the Raid and us ZFS?

ZFS all the way! Just make sure you can expose the disks directly (no RAID0s of one disk).

Otherwise, there's not much point in using FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.