looking for advice, disk failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

aweman

Cadet
Good day to you all, I am having a problem with my freenas server and looking for advice.
Yesterday morning i work up to my UPS beeping, battery replacement required.. joy
so after 3 hours of beeping, i logged into the server and shut it down , and switched it to my backup UPS
Powered it back up, and that's when the upset started... one of my 6 3TB is gone..
not showing in power up bios.. the drive is dead now... not even spinning up
I have a spare replacement 3TB drive here.. just scared of making the problem worse
Is there a walkthru for replacement of a dead drive
I have read this doc.freenas.org/index.php/Volumes#Replacing_a_Failed_Drive_or_Zil_Device
just looking for advice
" WARNING: The volume psycho-raid (ZFS) status is UNKNOWN
[root@PsychoServer ~]# zpool import pool: psycho-raid id: 1002567201714461780 state: UNAVAIL status: One or more devices are missing from the system. action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing devices and try again. see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-6X config: psycho-raid UNAVAIL missing device ada0p2 ONLINE ada1p2 ONLINE ada2p2 ONLINE ada3p2 ONLINE ada4p2 ONLINE Additional devices are known to be part of this pool, though their exact configuration cannot be determined."

thank you for any help

aweman

Cadet
thank you for the quick responce
I don't understand part of the document above..
"Before physically removing the failed device, go to Storage → Volumes → View Volumes → Volume Status and locate the failed disk."
"1. If the disk is formatted with ZFS, click the disk's entry then its "Offline" button in order to change that disk's status to OFFLINE. This step is needed to properly remove the device from the ZFS pool and to prevent swap issues."

on my system the failed disk is not shown, I see only 5 of the 6 drives in the "view disk" window no disk to switch offline
so I was able to identify the bad disk by checking the serial numbers of the working drives, and it was the one not spinning
I installed a new 3tb drive into the old slot/bay and it spun up at power up
view disk now shows 6 drives, but now what
it seems my problem is not covered in the how to document, or am I missing something

my system was working with no problems for about 2 years, no signs of any upset..

thanks again

cyberjock

Inactive Account
First, stop.

Second, post the output of zpool status and zpool import in pastebin or something

aweman

Cadet
sorry never used pastebin before
[root@PsychoServer ~]# zpool status
no pools available

[root@PsychoServer ~]# zpool import
pool: psycho-raid
id: 1002567201714461780
state: UNAVAIL
action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing
devices and try again.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-6X
config:

psycho-raid UNAVAIL missing device
ada0p2 ONLINE
ada2p2 ONLINE
ada3p2 ONLINE
ada4p2 ONLINE
ada5p2 ONLINE

Additional devices are known to be part of this pool, though their
exact configuration cannot be determined.

this is with the old drive out and the replacement installed... old drive doesn't spin up

cyberjock

Inactive Account
And that is still useless to me. Pastebin or a textfile. If you go to pastebin you'd see it's stupid easy. Even my mom could use it. LOL. When the formatting of the text is lost, it is useless to me.

But, I can tell you right now that you are missing 1 disk in your pool(you knew this though). ada1 isn't being detected. Presumably that was the disk that isn't spinning up. Well, you had a 6 disk "striped" array. So you had no redundancy in the event of a failed disk. Being that you have no redundancy, any disk failing would result in your pool being unavailable. So unless you can get ada1 fixed up, there is no reasonable chance of getting your data back. You could call a data recovery expert. And let me warn you.. the only entity I know that has gone this route asked for over $20,000 USD for 450GB of data. Something tells me that is out of your price range though. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.