To boot with USB or SSD or NVMe ?

blanchet

Guru
USB sticks are not recommended because they have usually a poor writing endurance. But if you plug a SSD through the USB port, it will work well.
  • I have an HPE Microserver Gen8. I boot with a USB3-to-SATA adapter and a Kingston SSD 120 GB. It works very well for years.
  • On my iXsystems servers, the boot is provide by a pair for 32GB SataDOM

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I couldn't agree more, the use case matters.... in most configurations I have seen here, if the primary boot drive fails then the user has a dead system until they reconfigure the motherboard to boot from the alternate/good device and sometimes that also means physically removing the failed device. The only true way to implement a mirrored boot pool that would bootstrap even with a fault is to use a RAID card that would control this action,
Hi my friend and nice to hear from you.

I'll raise the counterpoint that my BIOS allows me to set up a multi-drive boot drive order - external USB goes first (for Memtest and the like) followed by the two SATADOMs or SATA drives. Thus, a catastrophic failure is covered - either the first boot drive is toast (in which case the BIOS moves to drive 2) or the drive is corrupt, in which case even hardware RAID may or may not save you without physical access to the machine.

However, a second drive allows you to isolate the bad drive, the config file is known to be good, and hence recovery is as quick as pulling the bad drive, popping in a new one, and rebuilding the boot drive mirror via the GUI. I believe there is a lot of value in that, especially for GELI-encrypted volumes.

Additionally, if you're offsite and SMART errors start piling up for one of the two boot drives, it's easy enough to disable the bad drive in the pool and let the other one soldier on until the dying drive can be replaced. That likely needs IPMI access at a minimum for reboot scenarios (BIOS boot order and all that) but the machine can keep running in the meantime.

If TrueNAS / FreeNAS allowed it via the GUI, I would even consider creating a 3-way mirror on a temporary basis every time the system is about to get updated and again after it's stable post-update to have a known good boot drive in case something goes sideways with the other two as a result of the update.

Returning a system back to normal use from a saved config may be childs play for you, I'm a beginner at it. Plus, I have yet to face a SATADOM failure. But my main motherboard has two SATADOM receptacles and the other has spare SATA ports, so I see no downside to using a mirrored boot pool. That said, your observations are spot on. As with everything we do with our servers, a 100% uptime or 100% data recovery is unlikely to be attainable. Failures can and do happen, and some of them are such edge cases that they're hard to anticipate.

So thank you and I hope you and your loved ones have a great set of holidays also.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
And FWIW, I have read enough horror stories here re: cheap USB drives giving up the ghost of Christmas that I'd preferentially go with a <$20 SSD (128GB or less) on a SATA interface, or less ideally a external SATA/NVME enclosure via USB. All of my motherboards have so many SATA ports that I cannot fill them all, so it's easy for me to say.... but then again, how much is that data worth to you and is saving $20 really worth it?

Granted, some advanced planning is necessary but there are really great server boards out there like the X10SDV-2C-7TP4F, that offer a low power CPU perfect for home storage server use, SFP+, IPMI, two m.2 slots (with one PCI3.0x4), two PCIe 3.0x8 slots, 2 SATADOMs, 18 regular SATA on top, etc. all at a price point around less capable Atom boards. This board is a bargain... but use case matters! DOn't expect to run a billion VMs on this, etc. There are only two cores / four threads available.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hi my friend and nice to hear from you.
It is good to hear from you as well.

I think there are a lot of scenarios which could happen and things would or wouldn't work out to our favor. My main point is just that it's not an automatic fix in all situations. So long as the word gets out that is my goal. I think that we do tend to have our personal preferences and I do hope that I clearly state in my postings that this is my opinion.

And FWIW, I have read enough horror stories here re: cheap USB drives giving up the ghost of Christmas that I'd preferentially go with a <$20 SSD (128GB or less) on a SATA interface, or less ideally a external SATA/NVME enclosure via USB.
I couldn't agree more, USB Flash drives are not as reliable and tend to fail early when used in this application. Use a SSD type device if at all possible.

Dan Tudora

Patron
I think there are a lot of scenarios which could happen and things would or wouldn't work out to our favor.
agree
My main point is just that it's not an automatic fix in all situations
just in some
Granted, some advanced planning is necessary but there are really great server boards out there like the X10SDV-2C-7TP4F, that offer a low power CPU perfect for home storage server use, SFP+, IPMI, two m.2 slots (with one PCI3.0x4), two PCIe 3.0x8 slots, 2 SATADOMs, 18 regular SATA on top, etc. all at a price point around less capable Atom boards. This board is a bargain... but use case matters! DOn't expect to run a billion VMs on this, etc. There are only two cores / four threads available.
I understung you seal that one :wink: IF not JUST send me ONE
Happy New Y
I have read enough horror stories here re: cheap USB drives giving up the ghost of Christmas
ghost and Christmas on same sentence "Shame of you"
ear

sretalla