Time Machine partially working

Status
Not open for further replies.

pompanomark

Cadet
I have setup 2 datasets for two different Time Machine users. Each user's home directory points to the proper dataset. The first user1 has no problem connecting to it's dataset and runs fine. The other User2 gets the following error.

"You do not have the necessary read, write and append privileges on the selected network backup disk."

In both Shares I have AFP3 Unix Privs Unchecked. User1 is the same user that has setup all of the shares and datasets. Is there an ownership issue?

Thanks in advance.

Erwin

Dabbler
Hi,
works for 3 MacBooks here on my FreeNAS.
3 different User (belonging to the same group MyGroup in my case, but this is not relevant): User_1, User_2, User_3

3 seperate ZFS Datasets:in Volume MyZFS
User_1_TimeMachine: Owner=User_1, Group=MyGroup, Mode Owner=rwx, Group=---, Other=---, ACL=Unix
User_2_TimeMachine: Owner=User_2, Group=MyGroup, Mode Owner=rwx, Group=---, Other=---, ACL=Unix
User_3_TimeMachine: Owner=User_3, Group=MyGroup, Mode Owner=rwx, Group=---, Other=---, ACL=Unix

Services:
AFP Server=MyTimeCapsule
no Guest (do not use at least User_1, User_2, User_3)

AFP Shares:
Name=TimeCapsule_User_1, Path= /mnt/MyZFS/User_1_TimeMachine, Allow List=User_1, Read-Write Access=User_1, Disk Discovery=on, Disk Discovery Mode=Time Machine, enable Apple.Double=on
Name=TimeCapsule_User_2, Path= /mnt/MyZFS/User_2_TimeMachine, Allow List=User_2, Read-Write Access=User_2, Disk Discovery=on, Disk Discovery Mode=Time Machine, enable Apple.Double=on
Name=TimeCapsule_User_3, Path= /mnt/MyZFS/User_3_TimeMachine, Allow List=User_3, Read-Write Access=User_3, Disk Discovery=on, Disk Discovery Mode=Time Machine, enable Apple.Double=on

That is all. In the TimeMachine app on each MB you will discover all 3 Shares, so connect to the right one in the first step.

I have tried to use a single share doe all 3 MBs for a few weeks with Guest account access. There will be 3 sparesbundles with individual names, and it seemed to work, but after a while, we had to redo the full backup for some reasons, as the Time Machine app told that something was bad with the existing sparsebundle. Now we run the config with 3 separate shares and it works fine.

erwin

ECCfrenaslover

Explorer
Thanks for sharing his Erwin! Will test this on my network for my 3 Macs!

Status
Not open for further replies.