Time Machine error, out of room

atlantic

Explorer
hi - my Time Machine backup has failed giving me the error that there's not enough space on the drive (370GB needed, 307GB available). I have a 2nd TM backup for another machine that is working fine so it's not a more general problem. Both TM datasets have quotas set, but the one throwing errors says it has 1Tib free, so again there is space available.

I notice that if I try to mount the sparsebundle on my mac Finder throws an error (no mountable file systems). Is the TM backup toast? I didn't save a snapshot so can't roll back unfortunately (the freenas is in testing mode while I familiarize myself with it so its good that this has happened in a way).

Freenas 11.2 U7
8TB WD(HGST)

Last edited:

atlantic

Explorer
Ah great, thx, I'll take a look. I need to figure out what the cause is too.

atlantic

Explorer
OK I think it's an acl issue, I think the TM backup can't be accessed by the client. If I check the acl of the dataset and compare with the working TM backup (Macbook) I see there are three extra lines, but the shares and dataset permissions I set up were identical (deets redacted). How do I fix this?

# file: /mnt/Atlantic/Macbook_TimeMachine
# owner: ----
# group: ----
owner@:rwxp--aARWcCos:-------:allow
group@:rwxp--a-R-c--s:-------:allow
everyone@:r-----a-R-c--s:-------:allow

root@freenas[~]# getfacl /mnt/Atlantic/iMac_TimeMachine
# file: /mnt/Atlantic/iMac_TimeMachine
# owner: ---
# group: OfficeNASGroup
owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fdi---I:allow
group@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fdi---I:allow
everyone@:--------------:fdi---I:allow
owner@:rwxp--aARWcCos:-------:allow
group@:rwxp--a-R-c--s:-------:allow
everyone@:r-----a-R-c--s:-------:allow

atlantic

Explorer
Edit: So I deleted the afp share, and created a new one (same settings) but it still failed. Then I changed the ACL type of the dataset from Mac to Unix... just to try, and its working again!

But I don't really understand why. Can someone explain why the acl is different and why changing to Unix worked?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Edit: So I deleted the afp share, and created a new one (same settings) but it still failed. Then I changed the ACL type of the dataset from Mac to Unix... just to try, and its working again!

But I don't really understand why. Can someone explain why the acl is different and why changing to Unix worked?
There's no difference between "Unix" and "Mac" in 11.2. This is one of the many changes between 11.2 -> 11.3. The "ACL type" has been replaced with some presets for dataset configuration (SMB and generic). The list of presets may increase over time. Also the ZFS aclmode is visible in the GUI.

atlantic

Explorer
There's no difference between "Unix" and "Mac" in 11.2.

Hmm. Its the only thing I did and it seemed to get the backup working again. What about the ACL entries? I've probably done something to make it have the extra 3 lines, but I don't really know what they are or if its problematic, just that its different to all the other acls and happened to be the one that wasn't working.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hmm. Its the only thing I did and it seemed to get the backup working again. What about the ACL entries? I've probably done something to make it have the extra 3 lines, but I don't really know what they are or if its problematic, just that its different to all the other acls and happened to be the one that wasn't working.
That's a side-effect of using chmod() on a path that has an ACL. There is now GUI-based way of undoing that in 11.2. In 11.3, there is (you can recursively strip ACLs from files in a dataset and use POSIX mode for permissions management).

atlantic

Explorer
That's a side-effect of using chmod() on a path that has an ACL. There is now GUI-based way of undoing that in 11.2. In 11.3, there is (you can recursively strip ACLs from files in a dataset and use POSIX mode for permissions management).

Thanks anodos. Trying to recall if I used chmod at some point... I must have. Can I strip the acls from the shell, and if so will Freenas be OK with that? Could you advise on the correct command syntax to accomplish it?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thanks anodos. Trying to recall if I used chmod at some point... I must have. Can I strip the acls from the shell, and if so will Freenas be OK with that? Could you advise on the correct command syntax to accomplish it?
setfacl -b <path>. There are examples in these forums of combining it with find to perform recursive strip. Once again, this is 11.2-specific and does not apply to 11.3.

atlantic

Explorer
setfacl -b <path>. There are examples in these forums of combining it with find to perform recursive strip. Once again, this is 11.2-specific and does not apply to 11.3.
Thanks, I'm on 11.2. I'll do some searching here and give it a whirl.