Thoughts on these drives...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clinderw

Explorer
I have two drives that through smart testing have entered "pre-fail' as a 'type' in the read out.

smartctl -H : All Drives came through as healthy

smartctl -a : Two drives have prefail in their type column, 1 with a value in #5 row

In the below image, there is a value in the #5 row which i've been told means its time to replace.

Questions:
1. Would you recommended replacing the drive in the picture that has prefail AND values in the #5 row?
2. What does pre-fail mean exactly?

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• 10.1.14.png
    10.1.14.png
    170.5 KB · Views: 205

rs225

Guru
line with ID 5, Reallocated Sector Count of 3,280. It does seem high, but if the value has not been increasing, it might be stable there with no problem. You show 0 Current Pending Sector.

Whether an item is a type of Pre-fail or Old-age doesn't change. It is always that type, and sometimes it is debatable whether they even picked the right type.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
-H output is totally pointless. It doesn't mean what people think and its possible to have a totally shitty hard drive that still says it's "HEALTHY".

Your reallocated sectors is definite cause for concern. I'd replace the drive if possible. You didn't include any SMART test results, so can't do much to help you there...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Definitely looks like it needs immediate replacement.

"Pre-Fail" is supposed to denote that the SMART value moving into an unacceptable range is a precursor to drive failure, as opposed to regular wear and tear on the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.