This vs That (which strategy: crashplan, syncrify, bacula, rsync, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pops

Dabbler
Hi gang.

I played around with FreeNAS for a few weeks and felt comfortable enough to build dedicated server (SuperMicro board, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB drives x6). The next step is to implement the best solution for what I'm trying to accomplish.

PC (video and photo editing) ----> FreeNAS server ----> ReadyNAS 104 (was collecting dust in a closet)
---all on site (no remote or cloud use)

Conventional backup programs such as Genie9 ----> FNAS server, snapshots ----> RSync

Crashplan ----> Crashplan (via plugin) ----> RSync

Syncrify ----> Syncrify (via jail) ----> RSync

Bacula ----> Bacula (vial plugin ----> RSync

I am not terribly literate with command line voodoo and would like things as simple as possible. I do like how RSync works (the theory) and may be tempted to install Syncrify as the controller and daemon on the FNAS. However, my vision is myopic concerning all this business, so any thoughts, ideas, recommendations, advice or good chocolate chip cookie recipes are very welcome.

I don't know all these programs, but I do know that "no offite backup" (no remote or cloud use) is always the wrong option.

Pops

Dabbler
I don't know all these programs, but I do know that "no offite backup" (no remote or cloud use) is always the wrong option.

Always? I work from home, so using the cloud to backup several TB's/month would be cost prohibitive on multiple levels (data caps, residential vs business plan, cost of cloud storage). My data is important, but not life or death.

Linkman

Patron
Back up to removable / portable drives, rotate them, then taken off-site. Or at least kept in a fire-safe, water proof lock box rated for data storage.

It'll cost a lot less than you've already spent on the FreeNAS box to keep your data safe. Isn't that why you picked FreeNAS?

Pops

Dabbler
I'd like to stay on task here and focus on integrating an efficient backup work-flow between the PC, freeNAS, and ReadyNAS. I do not have experience with the products I mentioned earlier and am looking for feedback from those that do.

However, to address these side issues: When I shoot a job the raw data goes on one of 16 2TB drives I rotate through 4 external USB 3.0 docks. The freeNAS/ReadyNAS is to backup working projects and a large Lightroom DB. When a video project is completed, the Premiere Pro project files are added to the raw data, compressed, and stored either on DL BD-R discs or on HDDs in a fire-proof box.

Alrighty...back on course.

TheDubiousDubber

Contributor
Someone with more experience may want to comment, but based on my limited experience and the issues that crop up after updates, I would recommend something other than Crashplan. Its a great service, but it isn't an official plugin and is not the most reliable.

Linkman

Patron
How are you going from FreeNAS to the ReadyNAS?

If it were me, I'd rsync the data I wanted backed up to an external drive; or if it could be mounted via eSATA, use single drive ZFS and use replication / snapshots.

Pops

Dabbler
How are you going from FreeNAS to the ReadyNAS?

If it were me, I'd rsync the data I wanted backed up to an external drive; or if it could be mounted via eSATA, use single drive ZFS and use replication / snapshots.
My intention is to probably use Rsync from the freeNAS to ReadyNAS as it seems the most logical choice. What to use between the PC and freeNAS is what I'm really after as there are several options from which to choose.

Linkman

Patron
Windows PC? Assume so since you're not using rsync from there as well. When I used Windows on the desktop I used SyncBack from 2brightsparks. Assumes you can access FreeNAS from the PC as a drive share.

Pops

Dabbler
Windows PC? Assume so since you're not using rsync from there as well. When I used Windows on the desktop I used SyncBack from 2brightsparks. Assumes you can access FreeNAS from the PC as a drive share.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

Always? I work from home, so using the cloud to backup several TB's/month would be cost prohibitive on multiple levels (data caps, residential vs business plan, cost of cloud storage). My data is important, but not life or death.
Yes, always. Your box can get stolen, lighting strike, water damage, fire, electrical interferance, numerous reasons. If you value your data, you do offsite backups.

I use FreeFileSync on the Windows laptop to sync my user folders with the NAS, to backup raw pics and edited pics to the nas and another network drive.

Sync because files deleted in my user folderd may be deleted on the nas too. Backup, because i upload raw pics to that folder on the laptop, maybe edit them and then delete them from the laptop. I want to keep the backup.

I use the crashplan plugin to backup the pics offsite, it's only $5 a month, which is cheap imo. This has worked really well fo me so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.