The volume (ZFS) state is UNKNOWN: [help replacing a failed hardware]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maturola

Explorer
Hi,

my house got hit my a series of power outages yesterday and I think one my drive die, however I am having issues replacing it.

I read the freenas manual and a few thread that describe the process, however I am unable to "import" my ZFS Pool once I disconnect the "Failed" drive.

The failed drive show as UNAVAIL, and the only options is "Replace".

778xqVJ

https://imgur.com/778xqVJ

I shutdown the machine and proceed to replace the drive with a brand new one. (same brand, same size).

However once I boot, the pool cannot be imported anymore, I get The volume 'HomeNAS_POOL' state is UNKNOWN.

Am I missing a step somewhere?

Latest FREENAS - FreeNAS-11.1-RELEASE
Mothernoard: supermicro X10SLM+-F-0
3x 3TB NAS HDD Seagate ST3000VN000 (RaidZ)

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Yeah you are missing a step, you need to provide your freenas version and hardware specs. Also what is the output of zpool status and zpool import?

Maturola

Explorer
Yeah you are missing a step, you need to provide your freenas version and hardware specs. Also what is the output of zpool status and zpool import?

Zpool import
Code:
root@freenas:~ # zpool import

pool: HomeNAS_POOL

id: 2314711621735922747

state: FAULTED

action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing

devices and try again.

The pool may be active on another system, but can be imported using

the '-f' flag.

see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-3C

config:

HomeNAS_POOL									FAULTED  corrupted data

raidz1-0									  FAULTED  corrupted data

gptid/915eb38d-6e23-11e5-81e0-0cc47a768d4a  ONLINE

12412708475239528909						UNAVAIL  cannot open

gptid/920e5bb3-6e23-11e5-81e0-0cc47a768d4a  ONLINE

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Looks like you probably have multiple drives failing. What is the smartctl -a output for all your drives? You are still missing the freenas version and hardware info that's required when posting questions.

Maturola

Explorer
Looks like you probably have multiple drives failing. What is the smartctl -a output for all your drives? You are still missing the freenas version and hardware info that's required when posting questions.

I thought the same, however plugging the old "Failed" drive back, brings the POOL back in a 'Downgraded' state. I tried to replace the failed drive twice and still getting same result. Plug the old drive back and the pool gets imported not problem (In a downgraded state since one drive is 'UNAVAL').

I will post the smartctl soon, traveling at the moment. thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.