Cannot see volume - The volume (ZFS) state is UNKNOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Yeah, your drives are too hot. Way too hot. But, bad as that is, it isn't what's causing your pool to fail to import. What happens if you try zpool import -F -n Cerebro?
I agree to try this but that will message about a missing device is just strange.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

kwl747

Dabbler
Yeah, your drives are too hot. Way too hot. But, bad as that is, it isn't what's causing your pool to fail to import. What happens if you try zpool import -F -n Cerebro?

Alright tried this command and got the below. The time listed below is when I believe the failure occurred.

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool import -F -n Cerebro									
Would be able to return Cerebro to its state as of Wed Jul 26 12:23:40 2017.	
Would discard approximately 15 seconds of transactions.						   

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You just have to decide if those 15 seconds of transactions are important

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I doubt it, what is the next step to proceed?
Same command but don't use the -n flag

kwl747

Dabbler
Same command but don't use the -n flag

Making progress (I think). After running the command, the GUI now shows Cerebro with all the datasets under it. However, trying to access from my Windows or Mac machine, I am unable. Tring to connect to my share, does not show anything in the directory.

danb35

Hall of Famer
When posting images, please don't link to an outside image host--these forums are entirely capable of hosting images right here.

So you imported the pool at the command line with zpool import Cerebro, it shows up in the GUI, but you can't access any of your shares? Somewhat odd, mostly that it shows up in the GUI at all. Try exporting the pool from the command line ( zpool export Cerebro), then using Import Volume to import it via the GUI.

Stux

MVP
Is it possible he might need to simply redefine the shares?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Making progress (I think). After running the command, the GUI now shows Cerebro with all the datasets under it. However, trying to access from my Windows or Mac machine, I am unable. Tring to connect to my share, does not show anything in the directory.

Simple answer is to restart the NAS, now that the pool is recognized. The problem is, it might drop the pool again. You can probably just stop the sharing service (SMB for example) and start it again to get the access going again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

kwl747

Dabbler
Simple answer is to restart the NAS, now that the pool is recognized. The problem is, it might drop the pool again. You can probably just stop the sharing service (SMB for example) and start it again to get the access going again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Restarted, recreated shares, and I can now access my files!!! Thank you to all that replied and helped diagnose the problem. This community is awesome.

Now that my files are safe-ish, I am going to start reading up on optimal NAS hardware configurations as well as scheduling SMART tests, taking snapshots, and other advice given in this thread.

Cheers!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Restarted, recreated shares, and I can now access my files!!! Thank you to all that replied and helped diagnose the problem. This community is awesome.
Did the problem that caused the pool to drop out ever get identified?

kwl747

Dabbler
Did the problem that caused the pool to drop out ever get identified?

Best guess is the hard drives overheated causing failure. 26/Jul was one of hottest days ever recorded where I live, and the AC was not on in the room I have my server located. Room could have easily been over 105 degrees. I've since relocated the server to a cooler location as well as added several fans to the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.