The speed with expander vs without expander

Hyunseok_Kim

Cadet
I am wondering If I can increase the read and write speed of TrueNAS.

Currently, my twenty-four 12G SAS HDDs are mounted on the 12G SAS backplane with an expander chip and connected via Broadcom 9500-16i HBA card. so the maximum speed is around 24Gbit/s.

If I switch the backplane with the expander chip to the backplane without the expander chip and mount my SAS 12G HDDs directly with HBA cards (add one more same Broadcom 9500-16i HBA card), can I increase the read and write speed?

Thank you in advance.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
How would we know? Seriously, you need to provide a lot more information, esp. about pool/vdev configuration. What is you current speed, how did you measure it? How does your workload look like?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
24 HDDs, at full tilt, might optimistically manage to push 36 Gb/s total. A SAS3 expander, even with just four lanes connected upstream instead of eight, has 48 Gb/s of bandwidth in each direction.

You could do this, but it's akin to throwing money into a fire pit. Very mildly interesting experience, I expect, but a very costly one. Plus you'd likely burn more power, waste PCIe connectivity, etc.