the specified network name is no longer available

Status
Not open for further replies.

tincboy

Cadet
I'm using FreeNAS 9 for my Windows clients sharing,
But while I'm trying to copy files with more than 700MB size, I got the error of "the specified network name is no longer available" in the middle of copy process.
Is there any thing to tweak to fix this issue?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
This is very odd.

The problem you describe, with the "specified network name is no longer available" is not one that I recall hearing about in here.

I am intrigued by the 700MB approximate limit. Let me ask you this:

1) Is it always at around exactly the same place?
2) Does it never happen for any files shorter than 700MB?
3) What kind of hardware (NIC, CPU, RAM, motherboard) comprise the NAS box, and how big is the storage pool?
4) What happens if you copy, say, six files who, in aggregate, are much larger than 700MB, but, individually, are well under the 700MB? For exapmle, half a dozen 500MB files all at once?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That error is usually indicative of your desktop losing connection with the server's sharing service. This can be due to things such as a loss of network connectivity between the client and server, firewall rules blocking traffic, or the service on the FreeNAS server suddenly crashing. Obviously this list isn't all inclusive, but that's just 3 examples I can think of off the top of my head. There's plenty more but I think you get the idea.

tincboy

Cadet
As it always happens at 700mb+ files, I don't think it can be network issue,
I've tried to copy 8 files of 100 MB at once and 7 of them copied with no problem but at 8th file it shows the same error,
I've tried this test many times and always the same issue happens,

elangley

Contributor
Running FreeNAS 9.2 fresh install and today, when copying large files with Teracopy on Windows, am also getting the "the specificed network name is no longer available". The copy job speed drops to less than 1MB and then eventually it comes back to as higha s 40-50MB. Since Teracopy is patient and somewhat intelligent it continues on. However, noticed that when viewing the same share from another machine it "drops off" as well.

This was experienced copy from another NAS to the FreeNAS and from FreeNAS share to FreeNAS share.

Possibly a low level issue with FreeNAS dropping connections....

Update: While watching a copy job I just noticed a "semaphore timeout" as well.

~eric

rm-r

Contributor
I too am seeing this for windows clients

the specificed network name is no longer available

elangley

Contributor
My box is a PDSMU with 8GB RAM and a 3ware 8 port RAID card. I could not get FreeNAS to see the hard discs when I had the card in JBOD mode so I exported each disc as a separate unit. (In FreeNAS I had four discs setup in a ZFS "RAID 10" stripped mirrors.)

I experienced network issues with this configuration.

The 3ware RAID controller may have been the source of my issues. When I removed the card and connected the discs to the onboard SATA ports and setup just one mirror of two drives there are not longer network issues and the throughput is pretty good, 60MB/s sustained.

I need to look around for a compatible 8 port PCI-E controller for this box.

~eric

cyberjock

Inactive Account
IBM M1015.. just like the hardware sticky says....

bitracer

Cadet
I'm also experiencing the same problem since upgrading from 9.1.1 to 9.2.1. Currently running window 7 client on my laptop and copying or extracting large files on cifs shares I see a slowing down of throughput followed by the same network error message.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I had the same problem as OP but in FreeNAS-9.2.0-RELEASE-x64 when I tried it for the first time yesterday. Copying files from my Windows client to a CIFS share leads to the OP's error message after a couple of minutes. For example, I was trying to copy a 15 and 31 GiB test files. Both tended to fail sooner or later. Access to the shared folder would be restored after around a minute of waiting and explorer being stuck.

Well today I installed FreeNAS-9.2.1.3-BETA-e3f3e20-x64 and copied a couple of large files and so far didn't have any interruptions/disconnections. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and continue testing.

The funny thing is, I chose the 9.2.0 release for my first trip into FreeNAS land because the general opinion seemed to be that the newer 9.2.1.2 release still had some issues, but ran into this issue with 9.2.0 right away.

Sven Persson

Cadet
I have the same problem with my NAS. When I try to extract something in my Nas from my Windows machine it fails and the error "the specified network name is no longer available" pops up. I'm running version "FreeNAS-9.2.1.3-RELEASE-x64". This didn't happen in earlier releases to my knowledge.

How do I solve this problem?

EDIT: I tried to copy the rar files to a new folder then extracted and it worked. It seems to be specific rar files that fails. But it worked when I extracted through jail terminal.

EDIT2: And now it worked. Very strange. Hate intermittent bugs.

Sven Persson

Cadet
The issue emerged again. If I create a new folder via Windows in the shared folder, and then copy the problematic rars there, I can extract in the folder succesfully, but not in the original one.The original folders are created by Transmission so it seems to be some permissions thing, but I can delete, copy and create files in the folder just not extract.

Any ideas?

zidvbelju

Cadet
Seeing the same issue with my Windows clients; running 9.2.1.3-RELEASE.

Small transfers are working perfectly (under a few hundred MB, mainly differential backups and 15 minute log backups).

With large transfers (100GB+), I experience a huge slowdown and then eventually receive the error (The specified network name is no longer available).

Every full backup failed this week (SQL); differentials went through fine. Seeing this on five different servers, all Windows 2008 R2.

Backed up to a secondary NAS (Thecus) with no issues.

PeterB

Dabbler
Same here. Dies (no console errors) HP MicroServer Gen8, G2020T CPU, 8GB RAM.

Config 1: latest BIOS (haven't upgraded LILO past 1.3 yet), AHCI (B120i disabled).

Config 2: Same, LSI 3081E-R (lame-o) RAID controller, RAID0 config.

Config 3: Same, 3Ware 9650-4LP-ML (did I get that right? Forgot the exact model), RAID5 through 3Ware BIOS.

Anything larger than 600 or 700MB hangs FreeNAS.

I'm going to try to see if I missed any firmware through the ISO:

HP_Service_Pack_for_Proliant_2014.02.0-0_761723-001_spp_2014.02.0-SPP2014020.2014_0128.5.iso

PeterB

Dabbler
I believe I may have helped my disco problem - I changed the SMB protocol (max) to level 2 from 3.

From web console:

/Services/CIFS/Server Maximum Protocol: SMB2

I am transferring about .3TB/1TB now and haven't had the same disconnect/server unavailable problem yet. It's better than it was when I had it at SMB3.

I have not made registry tweaks in Win7 regarding LANMan protocol levels or server signing.

PeterB

Dabbler
Yeah well it was a little better, but still no dice with SMB2.

I've played around enough, I think it's time to move on. Good luck all.

aquawicket

Cadet
Same exact issue!

FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64 (80c1d35)
SuperMicro SC-933T
3Ware 8506-4LP x 2
500GB x2 - ZFS Mirror (compression off)

If I try to transfer a large file via CIFS, it will go for about a minute, and then the infamous "
the specified network name is no longer available"

This is driving me insane.. seems like a common problem.. so what's the answer?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, 3ware isn't recommended here for various reasons. In some situations your raid controller could be hiding a problem that will manifest in the error you are getting.

I see that card is also a very old PCI-X card, which means your hardware is probably quite old too. Are you sure you even meet the minimum hardware requirements for FreeNAS?

Can you post your hardware?

aquawicket

Cadet
I read this before I bought the system... http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Hardware_Recommendations,

System is:
SuperMicro SC-933T (15 sata bay NAS storage server)
8GB Crucial/Samsung Memory 8X 1GB DDR PC2700 CL 2.5 ECC/1GB
Dual 2x AMD Opteron 250 2.4GHz
3Ware 8506-4LP x2
Redundant 700 watt PS’s
IDE to 8Gb Compact Flash Card (flash install)

Everything looks great in Freenas as far as system resources go when transfers are in progress.
So I imagine you are right about the raid cards.. Either that or I have a bad drive.
I've got some new WD Black drives on the way.

Anything I can do to these cards to test for issues?
What budget SATA/Raid card should I replace these with?

Status
Not open for further replies.