The HDD Platter Capacity Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
Hi all!

I have been googling around about HDDs and randomly found this thread, which lead me to the The HDD Platter Capacity Database, which is an awesome database of the HDDs aimed to give us information mainly about number of platters/capacity of the devices, and how to identify them.

Math is:
- less platters in the device = more capacity on one platter ===> better performance
- more platters in the device = less density on one platter ===> better reliability

One example for all:

2TB WD20EARX, 4 platters - 4x500 GB --> 122 MB/s read speed (HDTune bench)
2TB WD20EARX, 3 platters - 3x667 GB --> 157 MB/s read speed (HDTune bench)

So, SAME model but DIFFERENT speeds ... how to recognize the difference? By the Identifier code

WD20EARX-00ZUDB0 2TB --> 4x500GB platers
WD20EARX-00PASB0/008FB0 2TB --> 3x667GB platters
WD20EARX-00MMMB0 2TB (750GB/platter, short-stoked) --> 4 platters

For more info about differend brands/sizes/models/version, just check the link above :]

So, keep this on mind when you are comparing I/O speed results of your boxes and also keep this on mind when you are planning to build new one (like me).

Holy

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've been to that site before a year or so ago. It's pretty cool isn't it? There is a downside however. As density increases reliability also seems to decrease. So there is a trade-off. :P

Ultimately, however, when you buy a drive from Newegg, Amazon, or even Best Buy you can't always find out what the identifier code is until after its yours :(

paleoN

Wizard
There is a downside however. As density increases reliability also seems to decrease. So there is a trade-off. :P
+1 :( At least for the same generation of drives.

So, SAME model but DIFFERENT speeds ... how to recognize the difference? By the Identifier code
Or with certain Seagate drives you get to weigh them.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
2 Cyberjock: Yop, you are right off course.

+1 :( At least for the same generation of drives.
Or with certain Seagate drives you get to weigh them.

Yea, or also the chassis is slightly different for 2/3/4 platters disks, but you know, they don't using real photos of the products what they have on stock.
They are using some reference images. Also i don't think that they will give you real weight if you ask.
So that number is imo only one thing what the are able to give you if you will call/ask.

I don't know how it is in the other countries, but here, if you will buy something online, you have 14days to return the good and get money back without specifying the reason. So yea, in this case, i can order, take a look on it and check the weight, and if its not what i want, i can return it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.