The boot volume state is DEGRADED

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo444

Explorer
Dear Professionals;

First of all, thank you for your kind support for this topic.

Now, I've gotten "degraded" error message when I tried to do "mirror" for boot volume.
It took sometime to do mirroring of another USB memory. Well, I used the same size and vendor.
Actually, I tried to do twice with the other USB memory, but it was failed all of them.
Here is the error message.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The boot volume state is DEGRADED: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please also see attached file. I would like to remove "UNAVAIL" status. Right now, FreeNAS is running on one USB memory.

I appreciate if you give me some hints.

Regards,

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 212

bravo444

Explorer
Hi, Hugovsky,

Thank you for your mail. Well, I think USB memory itself should be fine. I replaced this USB due to boot device failure of former one.
USB itself is new one.

Or you know how I can do the check with USB memory if there is bad block or not?

Regards,

bravo444

Explorer
BTW, I've just recognized that the latest version of FreeNAS requires 8GB boot device (USB memory).
Currently, my USB memory size is 4GB...
It can be the reason of problem?!

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
USB sizes tend to vary, even when the model is the same. Perhaps the new one is marginally smaller than the old. The simplest fix may be to save your configuration, then do a clean install, selecting both sticks to create a new mirror.

Badblocks on a USB stick probably isn't the best idea in the world. It may only be four read write cycles but it could be a lot more wear on the drive than that since it is programing multiple cells that are in the same bank one by one. Plus with the cost of a 16GB drive being all of ten bucks it's simply easier to go down and grab two new ones and just solve the problem that way.

bravo444

Explorer
Hi, All,

Thanks for your kind help. I installed the latest FreeNAS on 8GB USB memory sucessufully and tried to do "mirroring".
Now, it is working perfectly.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.