Testing new server

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIGISTX

Guru
I have a socket 1366 server I just got, and since I am not yet familiar with Linux, and don't have much time this weekend and want to let it test all week, would prime 95 be a viable way to stress the CPUs to make sure that are fine? I am very used to a Windows environment, and have a bootable win 7 USB. I figure to just get the CPU stability confirmed I should just let it prime 95 all week. And then memtest it as well once the CPU is confirmed good.

Or, to at least put the wattage to good use, would folding@home be a viable stress test as well? Or would the small amount of time folding doesn't stress the hardware when its switching to a new protein not be a solid test? I figure if I am going to run this thing full blast for a week, might as well help the world a bit ;)

Sent from my jailbroke iPhone using Tapatalk

LIGISTX

Guru
I'm actually now using AIDA64 and stressing everything except HDD or GPU. So this should be a solid CPU test, and a ram test. I'll prob still run memtest on it though....

Stux

MVP
Prime95 will push the CPU temps more than AIDA64.

I run AIDA for a while with its graphs to check stuff. And if that's good, I leave AIDA stress test open, but stopped and then launch p95. It's temp and throttling graphing will still work.

You want to make sure it doesn't get too hot in an extended run.

I ran memtest and badblocks et al first.

If your system will run at safe temps over night with prine95 running then it should be good, but ideally you'd work all the disks at the same time. Yet to work out how to do that ;)

LIGISTX

Guru
Prime95 will push the CPU temps more than AIDA64.

I run AIDA for a while with its graphs to check stuff. And if that's good, I leave AIDA stress test open, but stopped and then launch p95. It's temp and throttling graphing will still work.

You want to make sure it doesn't get too hot in an extended run.

I ran memtest and badblocks et al first.

If your system will run at safe temps over night with prine95 running then it should be good, but ideally you'd work all the disks at the same time. Yet to work out how to do that ;)

It's ok, we don't even have our new disks yet anyways. So this is just a hardware stress test.

I left AIDA on all night, but before I did that prime ran for an hour or so, it had all cores around 65c, and this is with the fans on low noise mode via the BIOS. From my over clocking experience, I know those temps shouldn't be an issue since prime is a pretty unrealistic load. With AIDA after a 9:32 long test, they have been high 50's to low 60's.

Not bad! I also wonder if a thermal paste change would be beneficial. I assume this paste hasn't been changed in years, and it may be good for a degree or 2 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.