Test Components Without HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisolson09

Dabbler
Hey All,

I'm in the process of accumulating components for my first FreeNAS build! I'm going the route of the xeon-d 1521. Newegg had rare discount on them so I went ahead and pulled the trigger!

My concern is i'm accumulating the components as I see them on sale/have the money for them. Besides the Xeon-D processor and motherboard that I just purchased I've only gotten the case and power supply which are relatively inexpensive. Now that I've dropped 400+ on the processor my fear is that if I let it sit until I have all the components and hard drives and something is wrong with it, I will be out of luck as far as returning it. The only other large expense is all the hard drives I need for it.

If I purchased all the components except the HDDs, is there any tests that I can perform to make sure that my motherboard, processor, ram, etc are performing correctly without having the hard drives installed? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Chris

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Sure, you can install FreeNAS to a USB drive and see if your hardware works fine with it without creating a pool. Alternatively you could use something like Ultimate boot CD to test everything out.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
my fear is that if I let it sit until I have all the components and hard drives and something is wrong with it, I will be out of luck as far as returning it
This is a valid concern.
You should follow the steps in the burn-in guide linked above up to the point of testing the drives. You should also test the drives when you get them.
If possible, you should never let a component sit, untested, because of the potential of getting a dud.
Good luck with your build and do share the progress as it may help others.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

chrisolson09

Dabbler
Wow thank you guys for advice! Those links are are going to be so helpful and get me off to a great start.

I will keep you posted on the build!

Status
Not open for further replies.