Test Build with AM1 and ECC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. New here. Been reading for a while.

I am currently thinking about just dipping my toe in the NAS .. world. And while I would rather have a SuperMicro board and a full fledged server, I've been wondering if anyone has had a look or had a try at this particular board and any thoughts on its viability. Seemed like a cheap option to start fiddling around.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132097

Its the Asus AM1M-A, paired probably with a Kabini 5350. It has a craptastic lan controller, but according to ASUS it does have ECC support. Thinking about disabling the lan controller, adding in an intel NIC and throwing in a SATA card for 2 more drives which would total 4 drives.

My usage is just myself, possibly girlfriend for storing movies that will be played from dedicated HTPC rigs or just general file storage. Nothing too taxing.

Thoughts?

gpsguy

Are you sure the mobo supports ECC? There's no mention of ECC on Asus specs page. It says "2 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory"

While most users on the forum will tell you to get a Supermicro board, if you feel you must buy a desktop board, look at this one: Asus M5A78L-M USB3 It support ECC RAM and is being used by several users on the forum. It has 6 SATA ports. If you went this route, you'd want to get an Intel Pro/1000 NIC to go with it.

According to the manual, it does. You can also click on Customer Q&A on the link I provided. Could you link me to the Asus Spec page where it states Non-Ecc?

Neweggs spec sheet also does not mention Non-Ecc.

Trying to avoid the high cost of SuperMicro and Intel since it will be such light duty and I just wanted something cheap to tinker with. If this board does not support ECC that may be the route I go anyways.

EDIT: I looked at your motherboard suggestion. All the processors compatible with this motherboard are over 100w TDP. IIRC, isn't ECC only supported on Xeon Intel Cpus if I go that route?

Last edited:

gpsguy

Here's the link to the spec's that I quoted: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AM1MA/specifications/

The other board supports a number of CPU's. While some run over 100watts, others do not.

If you go the Supermicro/Intel route, there are some Pentium and i3's CPU's that support ECC (the i5's and 7's don't). Check the sticky in the hardware section for suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.