System shuts down(powers off?) randomly..

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
My machine has been running well for about 3 months. I've noticed that on a few occasions the system either shuts itself down or simply powers down. The FreeNAS server is hooked up to an APC UPS and I get a low voltage warning on bootup and occasionally when the system is running (by looking at the status window at the bottom of the website). Unfortunately, since the system shuts down and saves no logs there's no way to identify the cause. Other than this issue the system runs perfectly. I've had it run for a week or more with no issues, then had 2 shutdowns within 3 days. I'm using the latest version (8.0.4 p2 x64). The UPS is setup to shutdown the system after 2 minutes of power loss.

Is there a way to enable the log to save to either the USB or my zpool to help determine the cause for the shutdowns? There were no storms or losses of power in the house during any of the shutdowns, so I consider a low line voltage or power loss to not be the causes(of course, the low battery might?).

Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Got an update. The server has been behaving lately since the last post. However yesterday it shut itself down.

I watched the bootup to see if it was properly shutting down. Here's a few lines of text that I found interesting:

Code:
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs2a
WARNING: /data was not properly dismounted
Starting file system checks:
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs2a: FILE SYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs2a: clean, 1164989 free (685 frags, 145538 blocks, 0.0% fragmen
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs3: FILE SYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs3: clean, 2829 free (21 frags, 351 blocks, 0.7% fragmentation)
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs4: FILE SYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs4: clean, 35224 free (32 frags, 4399 blocks, 0.1% fragmentation
writing new private key to '/etc/ssl/freenas/CA/private/cakey.key'
-----
writing RSA key
[: on: bad number

Since the file systems were "clean" doesn't that mean that the system was shutdown properly and it wasn't just turned off? What does the /data message mean then? I'm a little confused :P

Also, if I understand the private keys correctly a new key is expected on every reboot, but what does the message about a "bad number" mean?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
No, FreeNAS runs in read-only mode, they will always be "clean"...

bad number means there is a syntax error in the shell script, hopefully fixed in 8.3 BETA2

Systems shutting down itself usually means hardware fault (heat, bad mem, etc)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It's definitely not a heat issue. We did have issues with the RAM during initial setup. Maybe we need to go back and reconsider RMAing the RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.