system hangs every few days

s_mone

Cadet
hi everybody,
i recently build my first truenas system. It's a pretty basic build with two 3tb disk and one ssd for the OS.
I use in a windows domain network for file sharing and backup

Problem is it hangs every 2-3 times a week. File sharing stop working, i can't ping the pc and no webui.
I tried to connect a monitor and it shows the standard page but when i connect a usb keyboad nothing happen and the keyboard is not working (nothing happen on screen). I have to hard reboot the machine.

I need some help because i don't know how to identify the problem (i think it's hardware related). In the logs i can't find anything usefull.

My system is:
ASUS PRIME B450M-A II
Ryzen 5 1600x
16gb ram ecc (8x2)
Intel 82576 - E1G42ET Chip, 1Gb Scheda rete Ethernet PCI Express 2.0 X1 LAN Card, Dual RJ45 Ports (i disable the motherboad NIC)
Core TrueNAS-12.0-U8

Can be the network card? I use the system for some days before getting the new network card and i don't remember hang (sometimes on heavy load the network just freeze for some moment, for this reason i get the intel nic after reading here realtek can cause problem)

Alecmascot

Guru
Have you done the BIOS settings change required for Freenas/TrueNAS ?
Search the forum.

s_mone

Cadet
Have you done the BIOS settings change required for Freenas/TrueNAS ?
Search the forum.

no :smile:

i found some thread reporting:
"With first and second gen Ryzen you had to disable amd cool&quit, erp-ready and global c-states for the system to become stable. Otherwise there could be hard lock-ups due to core not liking the advanced power saving modes."

I'll try this first and see how it goes

Thank you

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
If that doesn't solve it, a bunch of folks have had luck with the SCALE version, since its Linux based it tends to support a wider range of hardware and be stable. Throwing that out as an option as well.

s_mone

Cadet
I'd like to report that disabling "global c-states" solve the problem for me.
System is up and running for 10 days without problem.

about the other settings that i see in other posts:
- erp-ready: it was already disable
- amd cool&quite: there was not a setting for this in bios (i think it's obsolete with modern hardware)

rramalhopt

Cadet
Hi!

I'm having this kind of behaviour since I upgraded to TrueNAS 13. I have a very similar hardware and I am running TrueNAS on this machine for almost year and a half without any lock-ups. Ten days after the upgrade to TrueNAS 13U1.1, it started crashing. The darn thing just crashes every 2-3 days now. I've already changed the RAM on the machine but the behaviour still is the same. The hardware is as follows:
  • AMD Ryzen 2200G - iGPU set with just 64mbytes of vRAM;
  • Asus Prime B450-PLUS;
  • 8Gb DDR4 - GSkill 2133MHz; Previously had a 16Gb GSkill TridentZ 3200MHz - those should be okay...;
  • Intel 82599 10 Gigabit Dual Port Network Card;
  • 2x Marvell 88SE9215 PCIe 2.0 x1 4-port SATA 6 Gb/s Controller.
I have 8 harddrives and M.2 SATA boot SSD. All of them are WD Red WD40EFRX or Seagate IronWolf.

I use this machine for these purposes:
  • Plex Library;
  • Personal Backups for Apple Time Machine;
  • Proxmox backup destination.
When the machine hangs, sometimes I can see these errors on the monitor:
IMG_1348.jpeg

I'll try to update the UEFI firmware to the latest version and disable the C-States. Any more suggestions?

Thank you!!

rramalhopt

Cadet
Hi,

After twelve days without any incident/crash I'm happy to report that changing the C-States on UEFI Firmware to Off and updating to the latest UEFI firmware has resolved the issue I had.

1665395002638.png

Thanks,