Switching from nas4free to freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooring

Cadet
I have a nas4free setup containing 4 6TB drives in a ZFS RAIDz1. Is it possible to switch to freenas without losing data and what is involved. Relative newb here.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's not ideal as a long-term solution, but the pool should import without a problem on FreeNAS.

Ideally, you'd want to move the data to a pool created in FreeNAS and take the opportunity to move to RAIDZ2 or better.

mooring

Cadet
I had considered getting a 5th drive and doing a RAIDZ2 and might still do that, at the time budget was a bigger consideration. As I said I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to NAS. I currently boot from a USB. Is there any kind of FAQ that explains how to do what you suggested? Is there going to be a problem creating a new pool and moving files if my current pool uses more than 50% of my available space.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I had considered getting a 5th drive and doing a RAIDZ2 and might still do that, at the time budget was a bigger consideration. As I said I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to NAS. I currently boot from a USB. Is there any kind of FAQ that explains how to do what you suggested? Is there going to be a problem creating a new pool and moving files if my current pool uses more than 50% of my available space.

You'd have to install FreeNAS, move the data to a temporary location, destroy the old pool, create the new one and copy the data back.

I recommend you read the stickies first, to make sure you're not missing any important information (there's a crapton of it).

Status
Not open for further replies.