Switch from mirror NVMe

lagaffe

Dabbler
Hi every one, before starting I apologize for my English ^^

My question is about switching from mirror disk to local replication on other local drive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually on my server I've got :
  • A first server (ram ECC) with data sets put like this :
    • 2 x 4TBB spin-drive in mirror >>> 4TB to play >> 1 dataset with less than 1,5 Tb use to store video and musics)
    • 6 x 500GB spin-drive (original from dell server) in raidZ2 >>> 2TB to play >> not very in use, I've a public folder to share between all home computers & friends which come at home and I use it when I need to transfert data when I make new arangement on my disk configuration
    • 2 x 2TB NVMe in mirror >>> 2TB to play but full @ 85% now

• A second server to backup monthly all this things on an unique dataset put on 12 spin drives in mirror (it is store at work and monthly i bring it back to home in a separated garage to do replication task on it and bring it back at work when finished)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was asking myself about one thing but tell me if it's a big mistake :
  • If I "dispart" my 2 NVMe in mirror I could make two separates datasets of 2TB & I can put a >/= 4TB spin drive for first local security "backup" with replication of the 2 2TB dataset, but is it a bad idea ?
  • I could make a second choice with an unique 4TB dataset with 2x2TB NVMe in stripping (secureless) but I ve only a 1GB lan at home so my lan will be a bottleneck, so no need to try more speed for NVMe ^^ (and always with >/= 4TB spin drive for first local security "backup" with replication of the 4TB dataset)
  • (By the way I don't plan to put spin drive in mirror with NVMe ^^)
The idea is to get double space without lost of performance, and I think it's a good compromise (but okay no real mirroring of my data, actually snapshot every 15 day & distant replication one a month, if I do this I will probably make snapshot once a week & distant replication more often too)

What do u think of this, do u make a different choice ? (Any purchase of new hardware is prohibited of course ;-)