Support for Ethernet Adapter Giga PHY Intel® I219V & I211AT

Rintu

Dabbler
Hello All, Wishing You a Very Happy & Safe New Year 2024

I am currently using the latest version of TrueNAS Core on my system with a CPU of Intel Core i3-6098P paired with a Motherboard of Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2.
As my motherboard have only one PCIe x16 slot in which i am using a LSI SAS 9217-8i, so in future i am not be able to use 10G NIC.

So, I am thinking to upgrade my motherboard & found some good gaming motherboards on eBay. I choose the ASRock FATAL1TY Z270 Gaming K6 as it has 3 PCIe x16 slots with decent configuration. It also have dual Ethernet Support, but i am bit confused about the Ethernet Adapter used in this motherboard. On the motherboard's documentation it is showing - 1 x Giga PHY Intel® I219V, 1 x GigaLAN Intel® I211AT, these two adapters.

So, are these two Ethernet Adapters are natively supported in the latest version of TrueNAS Core ?

Thank You.
Regards
Rintu

danb35

Hall of Famer
thinking to upgrade my motherboard & found some good gaming motherboards on eBay
Why are you looking for gaming motherboards for a server? You be much better off looking for server motherboards. The network adapter you mention should work fine, but that's the least of your worries with that board.

Rintu

Dabbler
You be much better off looking for server motherboards
The CPU which i am using Intel Core i3-6098P, I don't think that there are any good server motherboards available. These old Z-series gaming motherboard are very commonly available on eBay. That's why i am going with the gaming motherboards instead of server ones.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The CPU which i am using Intel Core i3-6098P, I don't think that there are any good server motherboards available.
At that age of CPU, it hardly makes sense to try to reuse it; you could replace it with something comparable or better for very little expense. But it appears to be a Socket 1151 chip, and there are plenty of server motherboards that should work with it. Supermicro alone lists 28, including the Supermicro X11SSL-F. US$133 here:

danb35

Hall of Famer
You mean, presumably, that seller doesn't ship to your region. I'm sure that board, or one of Supermicro's 27 other Socket 1151 server boards, or even another manufacturer's Socket 1151 server board, does.

Gaming boards are bad news for a NAS. The one you mention is less bad than some--it at least has decent network interfaces--but that doesn't make it a good idea. You have lots of better options available.

Davvo

MVP
I am currently using the latest version of TrueNAS Core
Then why are you posting in the FreeNAS legacy software section? Genuinely wanting to understand the reason you did not post in the TrueNAS CORE section.

Happy new year to you as well.

Rintu

Dabbler
Then why are you posting in the FreeNAS legacy software section?
Oops!! I think I had made a small mistake while uploading... Thanks for pointing me out. Highly Appreciated