supermicro x10sl-7 determine bios version

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjp4756

Contributor
I just got my x10sl-7 today from newegg canada. I haven't bought a cpu or ram yet. Is there a way to determine the bios version? I'm finding some posts on the internet that it may be possible to use ipmi with no cpu or ram.

Any ideas? I may just chance it and buy an i3-4150 locally and see what happens.

Oh, one other thing. Is crucial ram ok to use? I know it's not on the recommended list but I can find it easily. I know kingston is a no no.

Gonzalo

Patron
To use the i3-4150 with x10sl-7, you need BIOS version 2.0 or later (nothing in the motherboard's box?). As I understand, you can't upgrade the BIOS without a CPU. Crucial RAM its ok.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I just got my x10sl-7 today from newegg canada. I haven't bought a cpu or ram yet. Is there a way to determine the bios version? I'm finding some posts on the internet that it may be possible to use ipmi with no cpu or ram.

Yes. Connect the IPMI LAN port to your network, access it (it's set to DHCP by default and the MAC is on a sticker on the board).
If it's a retail-packaged SKU (X10SL7-F-O), there may be a sticker on the box with the BIOS version, too.

Oh, one other thing. Is crucial ram ok to use? I know it's not on the recommended list but I can find it easily. I know kingston is a no no.

I did your homework for you. Check my signature or click here.

kjp4756

Contributor
It's a retail box and there's no sticker on it. The only thing I could find was a rev 1.01 on the board itself.

I'll connect up the IPMI and see what I can find there. I wasn't sure if IPMI was set to DHCP by default or not. Would be impossible to change without a cpu.

Thanks for the info!

mjws00

Guru
I would think you'll be fine. I got one from them in Dec that was on 2.0. It's pretty unlikely you'd have older stock. Mine has a bios build date of 04/24/2014 board is also rev 1.01.

As for updating without a cpu or ram... never tried it. You can definitely get the key and the bios pretty easily, think it requires an email. There's a link in the url provided.

Here is an example of a dude that managed an ipmi out of band bios update without a cpu on an x9. http://www.abisen.com/lsi2308-with-solaris11.1.html

Good Luck. Seriously doubt you'll get stuck.

PenalunWil

Contributor
The X10SL7 is a great mobo. I would use the Hynix ram as recommended by Supermicro. There's a link in one of my posts somewhere. Also you probably know that you'll need to flash that onboard HBA to IT before connecting your drives to it's SATA sockets.

kjp4756

Contributor
I was able to use IPMI with no cpu or ram however I couldn't find the bios version in there. All I could find was the IPMI firmware version which is 1.4. I picked up a i3 4160 locally. It was cheaper than a 4150..go figure.

Next on my list is RAM. I like to shop locally rather than over the internet in case I have problems. All I can get for RAM is kingston. From what I've researched the kingston will work fine as long as it's only 2 dimms. My plan is to start with 2 x 8GB and then possibly add more at a later date. When the the time comes to upgrade I'll add 2 dimms of hynix or crucial. From what I gather that should work fine.

S

sanjok

Wow!Nice information shared.Great job Guys.:):):)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.