Supermicro H12SSW-NT - FreeNAS 11.3-U1 NVMe issues

chrisk2305

Dabbler
Hi Guys,

I just completed my new freenas build with a Supermicro H12SSW-NT Mainboard and an eight Core Epyc 2 CPU. I have connected 4 U.2 NVMe SSDs to the board via two slimsas x8 cables.

The disks simply won't appear. Neither in GUI nor Shell.

I spent a good amount of time checking the BIOS and the cabling and finally decided to try the new TrueNAS 12 nightly. And voila - all 4 appeared.

Do you have any idea what FreeNAS 11.3 may be missing? AMD NVMe driver? I just don't get it.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Last edited:

chrisk2305

Dabbler
I guess I would need a newer Kernel that fully supports AMD "Rome" Platform. Anyway to update the kernel?

paulg

Cadet
Additionally I booted Systemrescue CD via USB drive and all NVMe are getting detected.
Hey how is it going with this nas? I am planning to build a nvme nas with this 2113S-WN24RT and I am a newbie. So i want to hear if it was an easy setup and what kinda performance are you getting? are you using 10g? thanks all the best

chrisk2305

Dabbler
Well I can't speak for the system you posted as this is using the H11 instead of the H12 Mainboard I am using. I had no luck detecting the nvme ssds connected via Slimsas x8 to the backplane. I also tried a Supermicro NVMe HBA (AOC-SLG3-4E4T-O ) and no luck either. Then I went for another! nvme hba with PLX chip (AOC-SLG3-4E2P) and this worked. Definitely not an ideal solution as I would love to have the onboard nvme ports working. I guess I have to wait until TrueNAS 12 is out. I had high hopes for the new update (11.3 U2) but that didn't do the trick.

paulg

Cadet
Well I can't speak for the system you posted as this is using the H11 instead of the H12 Mainboard I am using. I had no luck detecting the nvme ssds connected via Slimsas x8 to the backplane. I also tried a Supermicro NVMe HBA (AOC-SLG3-4E4T-O ) and no luck either. Then I went for another! nvme hba with PLX chip (AOC-SLG3-4E2P) and this worked. Definitely not an ideal solution as I would love to have the onboard nvme ports working. I guess I have to wait until TrueNAS 12 is out. I had high hopes for the new update (11.3 U2) but that didn't do the trick.
thanks for the feedback, isn't truenas 12 beta out and ready to be loaded, or am I mistaken? https://download.freenas.org/12.0/MASTER/latest/x64/

gregober

Dabbler
Hello Chris,

I am planning to deploy the exact same server as the one your mentioned H12SSW-NT, but directly embedded in the A+ Server 1014S-WTRT.
Did you use this ref ? or did you use another one ? or simply embedded the MB into a custom chassis ?

So if I synthesize what you had to do to make it work, you had to :

• add the AOC-SLG3-4E2P which is a PCI-E Gen-3 (not 4) to have your HDD detected by the system
  • eventually use TrueNAS (probably meant FreeNAS ?) v.12 to have disks recognized directly without any HBA / Controller

Is that correct or not ?

Thanks for your help.

ehsab

Dabbler
I also plan on building on H12SSW-NTR and will use PCIe 4.0 U2 disks. Are you running Freenas or TrueNAS core now?

azimsaiyed

Cadet
Folks,
I am having similar issues:

The following was tested in our lab at Supermicro.

FreeNAS-11.3-U4
TrueNAS-12.0-MASTER-202006220424
TrueNAS-12.1-MASTER-202007280438
TrueNAS-12.0-BETA2 2020/08/11

SATA was detected by all but not PCIe.

FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64 does detect PCIe NVMe.

Test components:

Motherboard: H12SSW-NTR

NVMe U.2: PM1725a (1.6TB) and Intel P4610 (1.6TB)