Supermicro 846 4U case with Front Bezel MCP-210-84601-0B filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcmofo

Explorer
Hey guys, it took me a bit of searching to figure this out so I thought I would share it with you incase someone is looking for this information in the future.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448476916.615671.jpg

I see a bunch of people have Supermicro hardware including the 846 series 4U 24/36-bay cases. I wanted to put a front cover on my server for dust but it is not very clear how the front covers work, if they come with filters, and why the power button stops working after install.

I have the SC846E16-R1200B case specifically. Which, according to Supermicro means I need the MCP-210-84601-0B 4U bezel.

To install the 4U bezel 3 screws from each of the side handles, not the rack ears, just the handles, are removed and the handles and plastic trim pieces fall off.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448476954.134398.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448476977.254432.jpg

Supermicro includes replacement pieces that have notches cut in them to hold the front bezel in place. The trim pieces come WITH the front bezel when you buy it new and are necessary for it to attach. In the smaller 2U cases the bezel attaches to the metal handles.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448477031.393479.jpg

After swapping out the right and left plastic trim pieces I found the bezel fit great but my power button no longer worked! It turns out that their is a clear plastic insert in the existing trim piece that must be removed and inserted into the new trim piece... it does not come with one ????

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448477049.327040.jpg

Also of note, is that the 4U bezel does NOT appear to come with or have a matching filter of any kind available for it. I plan on using a larger roll of filter foam and cut a custom piece to use as a filter for the system as their is plenty of space between the drives and the bezel.

Again, I hope this helps someone and let me know if you have any other supermicro 4U bezel questions.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448477068.845464.jpg

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Note that the bezels significantly reduce airflow, and aren't intended for dust filtering, which would reduce airflow further.

pcmofo

Explorer
Note that the bezels significantly reduce airflow, and aren't intended for dust filtering, which would reduce airflow further.
Thanks for the heads up. I will keep this in mind while I am still testing the system. Currently with no drives in the system it is not an issue but I could see how it could become one.

The 2U version does come with a corse and thin dust filter screen from what I have seen pictures of. I clean my current Fractal case about once every other month as it gets pretty dusty with a similar filter.

JDCynical

Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.