BUILD Super low power mini itx build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamace1

Dabbler
Hey guys, I am looking for some advice. My friend wants me to build him a super low power build on a tight budget and I found a few "nice" boards IMO that meet his low power requirements and drive storage options. My only concern with it would be is a Dual core 1.6Ghz enough?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157228

this is the board I am looking into, around 18W TDP so it should be low power. He would like to see a raidz or raidz2 implementation off it, but I don't know if the processor could stand up to what he wants from it.

I expect he wont get a full gigabit off the ethernet but he would be fine with around 30-50MB/s throughput, as it will basically be just a server to stream to his tv since he doesn't want to keep his main rig on.

What do you guys think?

Edit: and maybe a transmission server

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I think you should look at other people that have the same high expectations... low power.. tight budget, etc. You'll find that you generally don't get everything you want, especially with a "tight budget". You will find that many people end up spending way more than they planned because they were so focused on "small" and "low power" and "tight budget" they completely failed to recognize the hardware performs very poorly(and sometimes not at all).

Veti

Dabbler
wait a bit the successor kabini is about to come out and since they are SOC design will be even lower in terms of power consumption.
the A4-5000 with 15W (quad core 1.5 GHZ) is supposed to even have aes-ni support

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I would never expect a 1.5Ghz CPU to perform well. :/ CIFS is single threaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.